How would one translate 'ribeye steak'? | SpanishDict Answers

I'm still working on the Spanish menu...

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

• Thank you so much. I was really stuck there... - Gummitier007 Jan 13, 2011 flag

I had to laugh a bit when i saw your question. "filete de ojo de costilla" is from the online translators,"costilla de ojo" is literal.

However, living not too far from the U.S. border, the gringo influence in México has resulted in more than a few of our restaurant menus calling it "corte rib eye" .

• Here the carnicerías sell a lot of 7-bone steaks, which I affectionately call the Mexican T-bone! :) - cristalino Jun 2, 2011 flag

¿No es un poco anticuado el termino "gringo"? Al crecer en Chino, California cerca de Los Angeles usaron "gavacho" pa' indicar alguien de la raza blanca. No se lo que usan hoy en día como ya he pasado montón de años en España y estoy afuera de esa cultura/ambiente. ¿Unas ideas?

• Just depends on the generations... those in their teens, 20s & 30s may not use it readily, but I hear it all the time just north of where my friend Paco lives... so it is still very contemporary... I think there is a story linked to Villa as to that word. - cristalino Jun 2, 2011 flag

I just enjoy how Spanish, and I am assuming for most of México primarily, has adopted the English beef steak or simply steak into their bosom, seen in these obvious examples:

bistec, biftec, bisté

The last one maybe not so obvious, but clearly an attempt to copy as it were our English equivalent...

On that note, anyone use the word "badal" much to describe un corte de res? Just wondering... and how about "lomo de res" for the above cut? Close or no cigars??

Where I come from (south of Spain), "solomillo de ternera" or "entrecot" are the closest ones, but the problem is that each country cuts the meat in a different way. Any "ojo" (eye) in the translation will not be understood in my region at all.

• Awesome info... ternera being the most tender part, or more like veal? - cristalino Jun 2, 2011 flag