Abren las tiendas a las nueve de la mañana. y Abre | SpanishDict Answers

They open the stores at 9:00am. Abren las tiendas a las nueve de la mañana. If it's singular.

They open this store at 9:00am. Is it " Abren la tienda a las nueve de la mañana"?

If it´s He opens this store at 9:00am. Is it Se abre la tienda a las nueve de la mañana?

If it´s He opens those stores at 9:00am. Is it Se abre las tiendas a las nueve de la mañana?

• look at my post, is this clear now? - 00494d19 Jan 12, 2011 flag

Melissa, if the sentence were impersonal you would use se, that is, if the subject does not appear.

The doors are opened at 9am.

Who opens the doors? We don't really know, somebody, obviously, but the subject is not mentioned and of no importance.

In Spanish the subject is never mentioned, or at least take that as a general rule, we do not use subject pronouns with verbs as the conjugation indicates who we are talking about.

So:

Como manzanas.

This is not an impersonal sentence, it has a subject, yo, but the subject is not mentioned as como can only be yowink

Impersoanal sentences are those that do not have a subject.

Llueve, nieva, ...there is no subject at all.

Se abre la tienda a las nueve This is a typical passive sentence. You don't know who opens the shop, like in the example above in the English sentence.

Abre la tienda a las nueve. (who: he/she/usted)

Here we do know the subject, it is simply, according to rule or general usage, not written.

• So, does it mean, if we say impersonal, use se+ singular, o just the verb like the third plural? Like, se dice, and dicen? But for plural no need to add SE in front of dicen? - zhmelissa Jan 12, 2011 flag

So, does it mean, if we say impersonal, use se+ singular, o just the verb like the third plural? Like, se dice, and dicen? But for plural no need to add SE in front of dicen? - zhmelissa

Well, yes, in sinthesis, this is it.

Se dice que en España no se fuma.

Dicen que en España no se fuma..

Hi there,

Don't forget to make a distinction between "the" - la (or lo for masculine) and "this" - este(a/o) smile

Is it " Abren la tienda a las nueve de la mañana"?

Almost! It is "Abren esta tienda al las nueve de la mañana"

Very close! It's "Abre esta tienda..."

Abrir is not a reflexive verb (it is not "abrirse"), so there is no use for "se" here.

Close again, it is "Abre estas tiendas..."

I'm not really a grammar-whizz but I'm sure lots of other members that are wiser than me wink will post their answers in no time.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Chica

.

So, for what I wrote below, are they all correct?

Impersonal ---- se+ singular or the verbs of the third plural form?

For passive , is this Se + singular o se + plural?

I wonder this sentence below:

Estas actividades se efectúan por la tarde.

Is this passive form or impersonal?

Se escribe el libro en italiano. Escriben el libro en italiano.

To express impersonal form. Am I correct?

Never mind, I almost gave a stupid answer... red face

Almost: in English you wrote "this" (=esta"), and in Spanish "la" (=the). But even if it doesn't exactly match the English version, it is a correct sentence.

The sentence is correct, but it doesn't match the English one. In Spanish you've written "The store is opened...", and in English "He opens this store..."

No. To match the English one you have to say "[Él] Abre esas tiendas...". It is recommended that you use a passive construction in this case, as "tiendas" is inanimate, keeping the verb in plural to agree with the subject ("las tiendas")

Check the article I wrote: impersonal constructions with "se" are always in singular. With specific people, the direct object takes a personal "a" and there is no agreement ("Se recibe a una persona", "Se recibe a dos personas"). Also used with intransitive verbs.

It depends on the subject: "Se vende un libro", "Se venden dos libros".

Is this passive form or impersonal?

There are 2 reasons why it cannot be impersonal:

1) the verb is in plural

2) efectuar is transitive, and "actividades" is inanimate, i.e. it has no personal "a"

Or try the reverse approach if you doubt between the two constructions:

(a) If the verb is plural, it must be passive reflexive.

(b) If the verb is singular and transitive, and you don't see a personal "a", it must be passive reflexive. If you see the personal "a" is impersonal.

(c) If the verb has "se" and it is singular and intransitive, it is impersonal.

----If it´s He opens those stores at 9:00am. Is it Se abre las tiendas a las nueve de la mañana?

No. To match the English one you have to say "[Él] Abre esas tiendas...". It is recommended that you use a passive construction in this case, as "tiendas" is inanimate, keeping the verb in plural to agree with the subject ("las tiendas")-----

So, this one , if we say it as passive, is it

Se abren las tiendas a la nueve de la mañana??

• Yes. With "tiendas" you can only use passive (theoretically) - lazarus1907 Jan 14, 2011 flag
  • I am just confused with passive and impersonal, cuz my teacher told me, for passive there are two types1) se + singular, like Se dice. 2) plural 3rd verb, like Dicen. And for passive is also se + singular and se + plural, so, I am confused here. - zhmelissa Jan 14, 2011 flag

I am just confused with passive and impersonal, cuz my teacher told me, for passive there are two types1) se + singular, like Se dice. 2) plural 3rd verb, like Dicen. And for passive is also se + singular and se + plural, so, I am confused here.

I don't understand what you mean. You are saying that there is singular and plural, and then also singular and plural... again?? How are they different?

There is only one passive with "se", and only works with verbs that are originally transitive, and the verb simply must agree with the subject. So, if the subject is singular, the verb is singular, and if the subject is plural, the verb is plural. That's all there is to it! There are no other alternatives.

Well,, I mean to say ..that the teacher told me this.

As for passive , there are two types.

1) Se + singular , example, se vende un libro..

2) Se + plural, example, se venden los libros.

As for impersonal, There are two types:

1) Se + plural , example, se dice

2) Plural 3rd person, example, Dicen

As for passive , there are two types.

That's a weird way to put it. It is like saying that there are 6 types of present tenses: como, comes, come.... There is only one present tense, but the verb changes to agree with the subject. There is only one kind of passive with "se", but the verb has to agree with the subject.

As for impersonal, There are two types:

Again, there is only one type, and the 22 Academias de la lengua agree that the impersonal constructions with "se" must be always in singular and without a subject. I think all my other grammars agree on this point.

1) Se + plural , example, se dice

I can't see how you can make an impersonal sentence with that verb. "Se dice una cosa" is a passive with "se", because "decir" is transitive, and the subject of the sentence is "una cosa".

2) Plural 3rd person, example, Dicen

That is another passive construction, yes.

The rules I'm giving you are the standard ones used in all universities and schools, of course.

So, do u mean to say Se dice and Dicen both are passive??

• "Se dice" an "Se dicen" are both passive. - lazarus1907 Jan 14, 2011 flag
  • Estoy confundida. I think I won't go to school again. :( Teacher taught me wrong things. - zhmelissa Jan 14, 2011 flag
  • Check again. I made a little mistake. There are so many questions, that sooner or later I end up making mistakes. - lazarus1907 Jan 14, 2011 flag