We had this debate about smoking or not smoking in bars in Spain recently and this came up:

Last I checked, a bar is a place that serves alcohol and a restaraunt is a place that serves food...I'm not sure where cigarettes comes into the equation - Izanoni1

This is not the case in Spain. In Spain a bar is a place where you can drink and eat, always both actually, but mainly, it is a social gathering place, a place where you meet your friends, where you have a beer or a glass of wine, where you eat a tapa or sit down to eat, where you share your thoughts with the waiter, where the waiter comes up with the weirdest sentences...LOL

Anyway, what is a bar in your country or for you? do you ever go to a bar?

Este es mi bar favorito, hace poco fuimos con unos amigos extranjeros y dijeron, hey, esto no es un bar, para!!! es una carnicería!! LOL Aún me estoy riendo.

En este bar es raro ver a niños, pero esto también es un bar. La tele siempre está puesta, siempre hay mujeres y hombres, siempre se tiene la tele y la radio, sí , las dos cosas, a toda pastilla (full volume!!) jeje,

Y ya no hablemos de las tapas:

alt text Now this is the latest fashion of bars in Spain: heating and blankets for S M O K E R S!! LOL

Bar de Valenica

In Castilla la Mancha toowink

• Your bars are way more lit up than bars here. Your are more like cafes that happen to serve beer or something. In my opinion. - webdunce Jan 6, 2011 flag

Pues.. En mi país, los bares son lugares a los que la gente va generalmente para la cena y para ponerse borracha. grin Y no pueden entrar los jovenes que no tengan 18 pero no sé si esa ley se aplica, ni siquiera para mí. grin ¡Bueno me quedan 3 meses para poder ir legalmente a un bar! jejej

Esto es un bar que me gusta mucho.. Se llama "Las Chicas" jeje sí, su nombre es en español.

--

Y esto es mi barrio. Ahí está la más famosa calle de Ankara. Es una calle de los bares. Se llama "Park Caddesi" que significa Calle de parque. Hay 35 bares en esa calle. Las Chicas también está ahí. smile alt text

• jeje, 35 bares, genial, parece España, - 00494d19 Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • Wow! Quién lo hubiera pensado.... - margaretbl Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • jeje es verdad no es muy diferente de España.. :) , Pues sí, es raro , ¿no? jeje - culé Jan 6, 2011 flag

Around here, it is a dark, dingy, smoke-filled place where people go to drink and smoke and try to pick up a man/woman...perhaps for the night, perhaps for a potential relationship. Typically they play their music loudly.

One gets the impression that the main reason for the drinking is to try to "loosen up" in order to (a) have a funner time and (b) have fewer inhibitions in asking a man/woman out and (c) have fewer reservations when being asked out.

People who are depressed may go in order to get so drunk they can't remember their name.

I've been in only a few...for example, when I delivered pizzas...sometimes someone at a bar would order one. One bar was apparently a western bar where everyone had on cowboy boots, big cowboy hats and skin-tight blue jeans (dressed like I'm sure no cowboy would...especially the tight jeans). The music was so loud it hurt my ears even though I never went in. It was full of people.

Another was a dingy old building with just a few people in it. One got the impression that the same people go there every night...like a little family.

Throwing darts and playing pool are apparently popular bar activities.

• My opinions are formed mostly from listening to people talk about going to bars. Or seeing bar scenes in TV shows or whatnot. - webdunce Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • I didn't realize that "funner" is a word - JulianChivi Jan 6, 2011 flag

Many of the bars here serve food as well such as hot wings, cheddar sticks, stuffed jalapeños, chimichangas, etc.

Most restaurants serve alcohol as well (that is, unless you are also counting fast food outlets and burger dives as restaurants).

I did not know that I would be taken so literally, however. What I intended by that statement was that typically, a restaurant will be known by its food, and a bar by its drink (or as is becoming more common in my neck of the woods, for its hot wings).

For example, if I am looking for a nice meal of Chicken Parmigiana then I am likely not going to go to a bar. If I am looking for a nice place to have a couple of drinks and socialize or even to sit alone and relax then I will probably go to a bar (of which there are many types: sports bars, coffee bars, traditional pubs, country bar, hole in the walls dives, specialty bars like pool halls, etc.) or possibly, I might just sit at the bar in a restaurant. In neither case, however, am I looking for a nice place where I can sit and choke in a cloud of smoke (which I believe was the original context of what I said)....I would assume (or at least hope) that this is not what most bars and restaurants promote as their special of the day—"Today only!!! All you can breathe blanket of smoke!" sick

Te olvidas de lo mejor... ¡Las terrazas!

De día:

Y de noche:

• Dude, that's a cool looking 'bar'. I wish the bars back in the states looked like that (the 2nd photo on the bottom). - Charlius Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • fabuloso - margaretbl Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • I think that is what we call an open-air cafe. - webdunce Jan 6, 2011 flag

Well, I think that in Britain, a bar is also a place for socialising....although I haven't ever been to one myself. Sorry for the little insight I can offer...but, I'm not that much of a drinking person.

Bars in England traditionally consisted of a lounge which maybe had a piano in it for the odd concert night, and a so called tap room where mostly the men gathered to play darts and cards while they consumed their drinks and it was no place for a lady to be as a lot of factory floor language was used of course things have changed over the years and many bars now serve meals and people are barred from entering in overalls whereas in the old tap room bars men in their working clothes were a common sight.

We also have restaurant-bars (Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, TGI Friday, Bennigans, etc.). These can also be called bar-n-grills. These are typically dimly lit, the bar is prominently placed, but the bar is merely part of the restaurant. Giant TVs line all the walls, especially around the bar...usually some baseball or football game is on...on them all. Smoking is prohibited...at least in Florida.

One goes to a bar-n-grill just as one would to any restaurant, which is to say, whenever you're in the mood for the style of food they serve and can afford it.

A popular pub in my area and some of the food available:

alt text link text

A typical sports bar and some of the food available:

alt text alt text

Note: if a bar also wants to be known for its food, it will often be marketed as a "bar and grill"

• That burger looks sick! - Charlius Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • Apparently they forgot to cook the burger. 8X - webdunce Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • Ya, no kidding, I can see the tapeworm eggs just writhing in that! - Charlius Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • :) - Yeser007 Jan 6, 2011 flag

You know a great place to hang out?? Teterías. A friend and I have gone a few times and they're great. The one we've went to not only has an ample selection of teas, but also things like coffee, liquor mixed in coffee, juices (the last time I went I ordered a coconut/orange juice mix), many many things. They also have these light things you can order to eat, but specialize more in sweet stuff like crepes. Again, last time I went, I ordered this 'waffle' thing topped with strawberry jam and whipped cream (yummz!).

Nice chill atmosphere (they even have pillows for you to lounge on!) when you go when it's not super packed, and it seems to bring a different crowd, one that doesn't seem to smoke much (even though now, it's mandatory not to smoke).

Anyways, the things I most highly associate with bars is 1) alcohol 2) tons of smoke! I like number 1 in light moderation, but the combination of the excess of smoke usually makes me steer clear of bars.

-Charlius-

Pretty much everywhere, most bars serve food and most restaurants serve alcohol. The difference is their primary orientation, which is determined by their layout and menu. If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't matter.

• If you cant tell the difference you have probably been in the bar too long! - nizhoni1 Jan 6, 2011 flag
  • I wish I could vote on comments :) - lorenzo9 Jan 6, 2011 flag

I live in the state of Washington and work in Oregon. Both states require that any restaurant or bar that serves alcohol must also serve food. Both states are also non-smoking. We have a lot of pubs in our area, but they function more like restaurants and admit all ages except at the specific bar area. Of course there are plenty of the true neighborhood bars which are smaller, darker are 21 and older only.

When my wife and I go to restaurants, we usually eat in the bar area because we don't have to wait for a table and the atmosphere is more casual. Anyone under 21 is not allowed in the bar area, which also improves the atmosphere. wink

When I came of age a bar was somewhere questionable to enter if you were female. Dark , Smoky, stale beer and fights or tired old men with maybe some pretzels or chips. Then came the age of the Fern Bars. More young people, lighter and airer but smoking had yet to be banned so I never liked the though they seemed to be a better option.The bars here in this town in NM are more a throwback to the old days with emphasis on violence or danger . There is one nice restaurant/bar that serves tapas but it is not frequented much because it is inconsistant with the local culture.

Unfortunately, near me, bars are dark, loud places where promiscuous college students drink until completely inebriated. At around 10 in the evening, they turn into dance clubs. They're really not that great for socializing; the only time you'd be able to hear a conversation is between the hours of 5 and 7, and no one's ever there during those hours!

• oh, how sad, that sounds like no fun, true, bars are so different here! - 00494d19 Jan 6, 2011 flag

This thrread reminds me of something that happened a couple months after my wife got here. I was in a bar (one of those male only soccer bars) drinking beer and talking to some locals when my cell phone rang. After I talked to my wife, they asked me who called and I said it was my wife. Then they asked me what I told her, and I said that I told her I was in a bar drinking beer and talking to some people--they were shocked and said that they would never say that to their wife/girlfriend. Then they asked what she said, and I told them she said "OK, have fun"--they were even more shocked.

In New Zealand, no one is allowed to smoke in bars/restaurants, they are almost at the point of banning smoking in any public place. People go there to socialize, people might throw parties in bars or organise some sort of small social gathering between their group of friends but the focus isn't as much on the socializing, like in hispanic countries, as it is sometimes on the actual drinking of alcohol and getting drunk which is really sad and it's a big problem in my country.