• Peanut butter should not be capitalized, it is not a proper noun. However, Spanish should be capitalized in your question. - amykay Jan 4, 2011 flag

Hola, Kristina.

It really depends on the country. In Mexico it is "crema de cacahuate" (for smooth) and "crema de cacahuate con trozos (for chunky).

I have also seen references to "mantequilla de cacahuete" (notice the difference in spelling for the word "peanut") and "crema / mantequilla de maní".

• Interesting. Here in the Phils., cacahuate is a totally different plant. In fact, it's a tree. :) - Deanski Jan 4, 2011 flag

En argentina, uruguay y chile se dice "manteca de mani" ya que peanut es mani y butter manteca. No utilizamos la palabra matequilla Good luck!

It does indeed depend on where you are. When I shopped for peanut butter in Costa Rica, it was only "mantequilla de mani" that succeeded in getting me the desired results. enter image description here

• G'day mate , great to see you again , made by hand i guess . - ray76 Jun 14, 2015 flag

Cacahuate / cacahuete is from the Náhuatl word cacáhuatl, which is used probably only in Mexico, so mani will be understood in any other country where Spanish is spoken. We learn a lot of words there from childhood that come from Náhuatl, ie: mecate from mecatl means cuerda in Spanish and we also use this particular word in an idiom A todo mecate meaning A todo dar / Muy bien.

También en Argentina se dice pasta de maní.

• Welcome to SpanishDict. - rac1 Jun 13, 2015 flag
  • Hi Catalina, welcome to the forum , your Spanish is perfect why don't you open a post yourself it would go down well, thank you for filling out your profile . - ray76 Jun 14, 2015 flag
  • I was wondering the same thing Ray. - ian-hill Jun 14, 2015 flag
  • I hope you can be a frequent contributor on SD given that you are fluent in both English and Spanish. - Sassette Jun 15, 2015 flag

la mantequilla de cacahuete is the answer