Is Rosetta Stone worth the price? | SpanishDict Answers

I'm considering Rosetta Stone but the cost is what concerns me and I've heard people complain about the program. The main complaint is that it's total immersion. I don't see anything wrong with that except for the fact that it makes learning grammar difficult if you don't know why you're saying what your saying, etc. I'm looking for some thoughts on Rosetta Stone before I spend 700 bucks on a program that I might not even like. Plus, once Rosetta Stone is installed into your computer you can't install it anywhere else. (That's a major down side to the program.)

• I'm not advising you either way, but you actually can uninstall Rosetta Stone and move it to another computer. It takes customer assistance and the original key they send you. I've done it when the computer it was on died. - rheit Oct 20, 2012 flag

Hi Clay, have you searched it on this site. There is quite a bit of info available. grin

I have Rosetta stone and I am 14. Maybe this makes learning a language easier for me because my mind is still growing, but I love the immersion effect! I have used Rosetta Stone for two years now and I am on level 3 bordering level 4 and when I travel to Mexico, some people mistake me for a native! But even Rosetta Stone says that it is good to emerse yourself in the language as much as possible for better results! Combining Rosetta Stone with SpanishDict is probably the best choice i've made because when I did my first lesson on the subjunctive on SpanishDict, I realized that I alreadly learned the subjunctive, but I didn't know what it was called! This may be confusing or frustrating for many, but if you are on the streest of Spain, Mexico, or any other Spanish speaking country (which I've experienced through travel) they WILL NOT ask you if you can conjugate comer in all your tenses and moods! They will want to hear your stories or questions, which I think Rosetta Stone emphasizes really well how to have a fluid conversation. But I do also have the help of my mom and grandparents that speak spanish as their second (and for my grandpa...his 5th language) but every time I use Rosetta Stone (and SpanishDict), I find myself not needing their assistence in clarification or definitions, I even tell them what some words mean and some grammatical errors they've made! Lastly, I go to a bilingual school which is a huge advantage! I sadly did not get a slot as a bilingual student due to the amount of space left when my mom turned in the application when I was in kindergartend, but I get the pleasure of hearing some of my friends speak almost fluent to fluent spanish, and the language program (bilingual or not) is the highest in the state where I live. These are all advantages I have that might influence me to understand Spanish more than (let's say) the averaged day Joe, but that doesn't mean it is totally impossible. You already did a great thing by signing up for SpanishDict, I think if you bought Rosetta Stone, you would get the material because you could review grammar that you might think that you don't know but actually do and learn even more vocabulary!

I hope this helped smile, Spanflyer

• Great post, Span flyer! - sanlee Jan 1, 2011 flag
  • Thanks for sharing your story! - claylavl Jan 1, 2011 flag

All language programs will teach you words and phrases. They do not teach you how to understand the response to your questions, eg: ¿Dónde está el baño?... easy, right!

When they answer: "el baño está al final del pasillo a la derecha, pero por el momento no sirve" that is not in the lesson. Not so easy, right?

Language books and programs in my opinion are useful to get the feel of the language, but interactive forums like this, is how you learn to understand not only the speaking but also the responses.

Our local library has versions of Rosetta stone in several languages. I think that the immersion is an excellent feature Check around your libraries and see if you can pick it up for free. It loads onto your computer for just a couple of weeks (the length of the library loan) but you'll see if you like it or not. A major downside is that you don't "own" it after you buy it. You can't sell it, and you can't even make sure it's on all of your personal computers.

• I tried to get Rosetta Stone through my library but they didn't have and they couldn't interlibrary loan it too. - claylavl Jan 1, 2011 flag

The impressions I got from people who used it are similar, except in one detail: the immersion. Some people I know who have managed to learn two or more languages do like the immersion feature, although they find the vocabulary very limited, so they only like it as an introduction for beginners. Normally, those who have never mastered a second language or don't have the patience to go this route, and prefer to learn grammar rules to start creating foreigner-sounding sentences with lots of errors from day one, hate the immersion feature.

The immersion system seems very slow and pointless at the beginning, but it pays off later one if you take it seriously, because you get used to hearing and using correct Spanish from the beginning even without the grammar, instead of knowing grammar and writing sentences that make no sense to natives. After all, what native knows his/her own grammar anyway?

Everyone I've asked seems to find it overpriced.

Over priced, indeed!

I think the "total immersion" idea exists because that is how we "learn" our first language. It is the only option we have as kids.

For an adult who already has a first language I don't think it is the best method.

Why not relate the new language to what you already know? - There are many similarities that can speed up the process - for example vocabulary.

Anyway if you are studying Spanish from Rosetta Stone in Illinoi in the USA how can you possibly be "totally immersed" ?

I suggest you try Michel Thomas. Only listening - no books - nothing written (unless you want to do the writing)

I would say Rosetta Stone is worth it. I picked it up through a college where it's only $48 for complete access to all the levels and all the languages (it's at http://www.cbcwebcollege.com ) and it's available from any computer that's connected to the Internet, which solves the "can't install it anywhere else" problem. I also saw Borders had a New Years 50% off coupon but that's still a little steep for me. As to the learning style, I like the emersion approach. It's a lot better for me to learn Spanish that way than trying to memorize a list of nouns and verbs. I also like that I can mov up the levels withouth having to run out and buy another box.

I'm still kind of new to Spanishdict. While I was in college last semester I didn't have time to take lessons but now I do. I will look into resources on here.

There are so many resources here. Check the resource section.

link to resource sectionlink text

I am 17 and have been using Rosette Stone for two years. i know how to recognize words and say simple phrases. The program does not teach you how to write spanish or how pronouce the words. I am about to be on the level 4 but I have no idea how to write, speak a sentence, or say a date with out using a translation site. I do not recommend this for anyone. The program is being replaced with a teacher next year because we can not be tested on the site because there is no way of knowing what the students are acually learning. The teachers of my school have noticed what little effect Rosette Stone has done for us and is removing it so I do not recommend this to anyone.

• Welcome to the forum! - pesta Oct 27, 2011 flag

I agree with your statement. I prefer to relate what I already to know to the new language. I learn better that way. When I was in Brazil people used to tell me to watch TV and I'd learn the language but I learned little if any Portuguese that way. I learned through relating words to my own language, exercises, books, etc.

Cool..I'll keep this in mind. I'm still considering Rosetta Stone but I like to know what others think before I decide to purchase the discs or not. THANKS!!!

Yep..interaction is probably the best way to learn.

I glanced at it but will look into it more later. Thanks!