The question explains it all really..

I started the sentence - "El es de Alemania pero...." (He is from Germany but.. he is half German, half Turkish.)

Thanks for your help!

Yes, in Spanish we also use the word 'half' to talk about the ethnicity of a person.

In your own example: 'Un amigo mío es mitad turco, mitad alemán' or also 'medio turco, medio alemán', although 'mitad' is probably better.

• Rhis is how I would say it. I'm pleased for once that my instincts are correct. - JoyceM Dec 30, 2010 flag
  • This is correct :) - Deanski Dec 30, 2010 flag

Ones Citizenship is dependent on from where one is made a Citizen.

It is irrelevant where one is born . If one is allowed dual citizenship ,

Then one can be the Citizen of the country of ones birth , and also,

A Citizen of the country which gave one citizenship.

These are not world rules, but change throughout the world ,

I am speaking as a general rule in a number of countries.

Él es de Alemania pero...uno de sus padres es de Alemania y el otro es de Turquía

(except that if he is a German citizen, then he is German. Where his parents are from is irrelevant. He is only 1/2 German/1/2 Turkish if he has dual citizenship.

Ask President Obama if your citizenship depends on where your parents are from or where you are born.

• Ah, okay, that makes sense! Except, I'm not North American. I suppose in English we refer to someone as being "half" something because of what nationality one's parents are. - egduf8 Dec 30, 2010 flag
  • Yes, I understood what was meant, just pointing out the ambiguity of the phrasing. Ethnicity and where you are from do not always match (Children born on military bases in foreign countries, on ships, consulates, etc.) - 0074b507 Dec 30, 2010 flag

If you are from parents of different nationalities and you are a footballer for instance you may have a choice of who you play for internationally if good enough you can choose your fathers, mothers or where you were actually born but I have heard of these rules being stretched a bit by managers struggling to find good players for instance when Jack Charlton managed the Irish team it was said that players were qualifying for all sorts of reasons for example if your great grandad ever went on a fishing trip to Ireland you would be considered eligible, of course this only football fan banter so please don't take offence any one from Ireland but feel free to give as good as you get.