"I want you" literally comes out to "te quiero" which is "I love you" so how would you say simply, "I want you"?

question As a complete expression: "I want you" = "Te deseo"

• 'Deseo' refers to 'I wish'. - Seb79 Dec 22, 2010 flag
  • However, if I want to say 'I want you to have a good holiday', I could use 'te deseo'....... - Seb79 Dec 22, 2010 flag
  • "Te deseo" as a complete expression is only "a ti". - MarissaPR Dec 22, 2010 flag

There are other "I want you's".

I want you to know

I want you to do it

etc.

• Although Eddy is right...it depends on the context. - Seb79 Dec 22, 2010 flag
  • And the context is lacking, thus one can only guess at the intended meaning (or refrain from answering). - samdie Dec 22, 2010 flag

Maybe there should be an automatic thing that refers these questions to a list of phrases of love/passion. It seems like they make up half the questions.

"I want you"

Impossible to answer fully without further context. The sentence, as it stands, means the same thing in English as "I desire you." (or "I lust after you" for soap opera addicts). However, if that is the beginning of a sentence (as opposed to the entire sentence), then there are many other possibilities.

If you want a clear answer you need to ask a clear question.

• Yes exactly, you have to include what you want him/her for other wise it just looks like you are saying that you love them which in some cases could be embarrasing. - kenwilliams Dec 23, 2010 flag

No it isn't. Te amo means I love you, and te quiero means I want you.

• Te quiero is often used to convey the same meaning as Te amo. - kenwilliams Dec 22, 2010 flag

Cómo te quiero! = "How I love you" and / or "How I want you" - here in Bolivia at least.

In Spain, te quiero means I love you as te amo is generally seen as kind of too much.

Te busco might work as the verb buscar is often used in this sense: Se buscan dependientes = Shop assistants wanted.