To be in danger? To run the risk?

Ruégote por tu vida, amigo lector, que no te metas en honduras, que no te empeñes en averiguar dónde está Villaverde, cuna de mi protagonista. Mira que perderías el tiempo y correrías peligro de mentir.

I have highlighted all questionable areas.

?? for your life, reader friend. that you don't find yourself in Honduras, that you don't insist on finding out where Villaverde is, cradle of my protaganist, Look how you would waste your time, and run the risk of lying. (??)

Curious. Gracias. for your help.

"I'm begging you for the sake of your life, dear Reader, don't get in too deep (don't get in over your head ["honduras" - "depths"]); don't take on the task of finding out where Villaverde is, birthplace of my protagonist. Look (or "Be forewarned") that you would be wasting your time and you be in danger of lying." (or "run the risk of lying")

• Gracias. So what is pelgiro de mentir? What is mentir doing in there? - jeezzle Dec 19, 2010 flag
  • I can't say, since I haven't read the book. But maybe it means that the reader would lie in order to protect himself, or the town, or Angelina, or something. - mountaingirl Dec 19, 2010 flag
  • Just an idea: could it be that "lying" is meant in the sense of "yacer" here, not "mentir"? Then it might be used figuratively here for getting killed which would make sense in the context. I'm thinking of inscriptions on tombstones like "Here lies ...". - RobertoLeone Dec 20, 2010 flag

Yes, correr peligro is the same as estar en peligro, to be in danger, in this case in danger of encountering lies.

Just like English, Spanish has a lot of phrases where other verbs stand in for estar.