la lectura - (noun) reading, reading material; defense; scanning; interpretation

Post your sentences in Spanish and English, then vote for the ones you like. The best answer will be chosen tomorrow on the basis of the greatest number of votes and language correctness.

.

And don't forget to correct your posts as suggested. Do NOT use subject pronouns!

Me gusta la lectura de las novelas de suspense

I like reading thrillers

• Please correct my English and Spanish - Vaanz Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Good one Vaanz,, you could just say "I like reading Thrillers" - ray76 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • And in Spanish you would say: 'la lectura de novelas de 'suspense'' or 'de novelas de misterio'. 'de las novelas..' implies that you are talking about certain thriller novels (for example ones that you own), you're not talking about the genre as a whole. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Oh, and 'de suspense' or 'de misterio' is just a subset of 'thriller novels'. In Spanish we also use the word 'thriller' to define the whole genre of mystery, crime, etc.. novels or movies. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag

La lectura es para la mente lo que el ejercicio es para el cuerpo.

( Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. )

Me encantan las lecturas preparadas por Lazarus, pero a veces consiguen que desee clavarme algo en el ojo.

I love the readings that Lazarus prepares, but sometimes they make me want to stab myself in the eye!

• :) - bandit51jd Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • 'me encantan', 'preparadas'. Also, 'but sometimes.. ' doesn't have a correct literal translation, as we don't use that expression, but 'a veces ellos..' doesn't work either. I'd say 'a veces consiguen que desee clavarme algo en el ojo' - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Actual, idiomatic expressions for this context are: 'a veces me dan ganas de pegarme un tiro' or 'a veces me dan ganas de tirarme por la ventana' - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Well, it's better "pegarse un tiro". "Clavarse algo en el ojo" sounds a bit shocking. Creeps!! - cogumela Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Thank you both for the corrections. Actually, I didn't mean it idiomatically...I meant it literally!! - Echoline Dec 17, 2010 flag

Mi material de lectura es principalmente de SpanishDict.

My reading material is mainly from Spanishdict .

Funny Comment Pictures, Images and Photos

• Small typo: 'principalmente' - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks Bill,but a better result,¿ ne es la verdad? - ray76 Dec 17, 2010 flag

Children should develop good reading habits.

Los niños deben desarrollar buenos hábitos de lectura.

kid reading to elephant Pictures, Images and Photos

alt text Muchacha leyendo (1876). Cuadro de Ilya Repin.

La lectura es una de fomentar segura la educación.

Reading is a sure way to education.

• 'de educar' or 'para educar'. To use 'educación' in that context you would have to use more words, ie: 'de fomentar la educación' or 'de apoyar la educación'. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks Billstpor, you're a great example for others! - Maria-Russel Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Is this o.k? I did not completely understand your corrections. - Maria-Russel Dec 17, 2010 flag

A modo de broma, los amigos de este hombre lo enterraron en la arena, y le dejó el material de lectura titulado "Como salir de cualquier situación". Por desgracia, sólo puede ver dos páginas!

For a joke, this man’s friends buried him in the sand, and left him reading material titled “How to get out of any situation”. Unfortunately, he can only see two pages!

• 'Por' is very weak to translate 'For a joke..'. It's better to say: 'A modo de broma, '. Also: 'le dejaron' and 'Cómo' (with tilde). - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Gracias Billstpor. - Rolest Dec 17, 2010 flag

Un vuelo largo es un tiempo bueno de hacer alguna lectura .

A long flight is a good time to do some reading.

• 'es un buen momento' is a much better alternative to 'es un tiempo bueno'. And so is 'para' instead of 'de'. And 'hacer alguna lectura' is ok, but in normal speech you would just say 'para leer algo'. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag

"He hecho un curso de lectura veloz y he leído "Guerra y paz" en veinte minutos. Habla de Rusia." - Woody Allentongue wink

I've done a course on fast reading and I've read "War and peace" in twenty minutes. Speaks of Russia. - Woody Allen

Desearía aprender lectura labial.

I'd like to learn to lip read.

• 'aprender lectura labial', without article. By the way 'lectura labial' is a formal expression, in everyday use everybody calls it 'leer los labios' - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag

Cada Nochebuena, mi familia se reúne para la lectura de "La Noche Antes de Navidad".

Every Christmas Eve, my family gathers for the reading of "The Night Before Christmas".

For the discussion in the comments below, here is a link to the correct conjugation of "to gather" in English. I'm in the US, but I have never heard it used any other way.

link text

• Just as in English, 'familia' is a singular noun, so you need to conjugate the verb accordingly. Also, 'reunir' as in 'to get together' needs the pronoun: 'se reúne' - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks! I was confused because "gathers" is plural in English. :) - 0066c384 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Err.. no? 'Gathers' is the 3rd person singular of 'to gather'. He/she/it gathers - We/You/they gather.. I'm not sure I follow you there.. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • I prefer 'my family gather'. - galsally Dec 18, 2010 flag

Para leerse 'Guerra y Paz' de Tolstoi entera, a uno le tiene que gustar mucho la lectura.

You must love reading if you can read all of "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy.

• Tthere is no agreement between Tienes (tú) and usted. Tienes que amar la lectura si puedes leerte entero "guerra y paz", de Tolstoi. - cogumela Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • It does not sound too natural either. It's more colloquial; Para leerse 'Guerra y Paz' de Tolstoi entera, a uno le tiene que gustar mucho la lectura. - cogumela Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks cogumela! - wansell Dec 17, 2010 flag

Mi compañero de cuarto dice que la lectura es dificil. Pero todavía recibió una B en la clase español para principiantes. ¡Vas, chica!

My roommate says reading is difficult. But she still received a B in the Beginner Spanish class! You go girl!

• Am I saying roommate correctly and is the "Vas, chica" correct. Gracias - bandit51jd Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Yes and no. First, it would be 'compañera' as you are talking about a girl. And second, it depends: 'de cuarto' is used when someone lives in the same bedroom. If you live in different bedrooms, it is said 'compañera de piso'. - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • As for ¡Vas, chica!, I'm afraid not :p . Equivalent expressions to 'You go, girl!' would be: '¡Tú puedes, chica!, or '¡Ánimo, chica! - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag

Ayer estuve estudiando en la sala de lectura de la universidad durante cinco horas.

Yesterday I was studying in the reading room at university for five hours.

Me gustan las novelas de ciencia ficción. Connie Willis es mi autora favorita.

I like science fiction novels. Connie Willis is my favorite writer. Passage Connie Willis

• 'Me gustan las novelas de ciencia ficción' ('gustar' has to agree with the subject, which is 'novelas', not I) - bill1111 Dec 17, 2010 flag
  • Gracias, Billstpor. - Leatha Dec 17, 2010 flag

La clase introductoria de la filosofía tuvo mucha lectura porque necesitó cubrir una variedad extensa de temas.

The introductory philosophy class had a lot of reading because it had to cover a wide variety of topics.