2

At this link: prepositions (which is from a source that I generally find reliable, Gerald Erichsen)

There is this example sentence:

bajo — under — El perro está bajo la mesa. The dog is under the table.

Every other time I had seen this sentence used before I had seen "debajo de" instead of "bajo", but web search does show other sources using "bajo".

We have several good threads on the difference between the terms, including:

abajo, debajo, bajo, debajo vs. bajo

So my question is simply, in the given example, is there any reason to favor one usage over another, or is it merely personal preference.

In English I think I could say: the dog is under the table, the dog is beneath the table, the dog is underneath the table, and (possibly) the dog is below the table, with no specific reason except personal preference to pick among them (the English grammaticians among us may correct me).

• | Edited by Stadt Dec 16, 2010
  • | history
  • Did you mean to label the link prepositions, not pronouns? - 0074b507 Dec 16, 2010
  • yes, thanks - Stadt Dec 16, 2010

1

bajo

debajo

Maybe both are right but searching I think I found a little difference, bajo is must used for lower and debajo could be more like under, anyway I think there is no difference if you use them interchangeably.

• Dec 16, 2010
  • | Edited by Dakie Dec 16, 2010

• As a native speaker, in that sentence do both of them sound okay to you, or do you like the sound of one better - Stadt Dec 16, 2010
  • Well, weirdly the first (bajo de) sounds even proper to me, I would say the first only for that reason. - Dakie Dec 16, 2010
  • Anyway both sound ok to me - Dakie Dec 16, 2010
  • Thanks - Stadt Dec 16, 2010
2

From the DPD:

Bajo:

Con pronunciación átona, bajo es también una preposición que equivale a debajo de (→ debajo):
Se sentó bajo el sauce del jardín
►Colocó las zapatillas bajo la cama.

1

There is no difference in your example, but I would use "abajo de" since I'm in Ecuador.

• Dec 16, 2010
  • Thanks (my Spanish will be used primarily with Mexicans, whether in the US or Mexico) - Stadt Dec 16, 2010
1

Your English examples are all synonyms.

• Dec 16, 2010
  • Thanks, my English gets corrected here enough, that even as native speaker I am never sure that my English is proper. - Stadt Dec 16, 2010
1

Se puede intercambiar debajo y bajo, refieren a lugares concretos El perro está bajo/debajo la mesa-the dog is under the table "abajo" es menos específico El perro está abajo- the dog is downstairs Me voy abajo- I'm going downstairs/or down

• Gracias - Stadt Dec 16, 2010
1

In short, there is not any reason to favor one usage over another. it is merely personal preference or custom.

• Dec 16, 2010
  • Thanks - Stadt Dec 16, 2010