Which is easier to learn English or Spanish | SpanishDict Answers

Which one

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• welcome to the forum ! - 00b6f46c Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • Totally off topic, lovely love, but your user name doesn't come from "No Strings," does it? - chris126 Dec 15, 2010 flag

It depends. It depends on what language you already speak. It also depends in what sense you're talking about. English is much more irregular than Spanish, so in that sense it's harder to learn. Pronounciation and spelling of English is much harder than Spanish, as the spelling of English is often nowhere near phonetic.

On the other hand, English does not have ser/estar, preterite/imperfect and we pay next to no attention at all to the subjunctive...all which cause learners of Spanish no end of misery....

In the end, it really makes no difference which one is more difficult to learn, though, as the knowlege of this will not make your task of learning any easier.....

• Well said. I think people who already speak Italian, Portuguese, or French would find Spanish easier. Those whoand speak some Germanic language might find English (Germanic languages love making prepositions affect verb meanings). - webdunce Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • I would agree. I have a German friend who learned English, Spanish, and Latin who told me that English is very easy to learn. - dejongbr Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • Nicely worded Echoline!!!!!!!!! - Abhinair66 Dec 15, 2010 flag

Spanish must be easier to learn because it is easier to teach. Look at all the weirdness, if not outright insanity, that is English spelling. And don't even get me started on pronunciation. There are five written vowels for about ten spoken vowel sounds. And how about those diphthongs? (Hey, Spanish! We've got more than you!) Look at the tricky syntax that must be learned in order to use do and does. Spanish is also easier to learn because of the enthusiasm of its learners. Whoever heard of students of English rhapsodizing over its beauty or calling an English book mi tesoro? Oh yes, student enthusiasm is a great gauge of how easy it is to teach something as well as to learn it.

I think it really depends on which one you learned first. For example, I started to learn English 12 years ago and it doesn't seem difficult to me anymore. And for someone who knows English well Spanish is not too difficult because you feel like you already know a lot of words. e.g decidir-decide- But the pronunciation of English is really difficult because in Spanish you always read "che" the same, but in English it's not like that. On the other hand, in Spanish there are a lot of metaphors or idioms. For exapmle: meterse mil rayas means to go mad because of thinking too much (as far as I know). Of course in English there are this kind of things but I find myself in the middle of a sea where I cannot see an island to go while I speak Spanish. But if I don't do any mistakes it's the biggest satisfaction in the world... Every language has its own difficulties... smile

English does not have ser/estar, preterite/imperfect and we pay next to no attention at all to the subjunctive

On the other hand, these distinctions are not unique to Spanish. One could as reasonably argue that the the problem for English speakers is that we fail to make these distinctions in English, and thus, have problems when learning languages that do make them.

To some extent, learning any language (however closely related to your native language) requires requires learning some new ways of thinking about things (viewing the world).

English of course!!

• I agree, lovely. - cogumela Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • Don't give up hope, Laura. With effort you, too, can learn to speak Spanish. jeje - samdie Dec 12, 2010 flag

One advantage of English is that it's much easier to find free material to practice with (movies, books, videogames). In general it will also be easier to find people who can speak English to some extend (although their bad grammar may also mess up yours).

• I find more Spanish listening and reading material on the Internet than I have time for, but off the computer I agree it's hard unless you live in a country with hispanohablantes. - galsally Dec 13, 2010 flag

It depends on your language background of course. It is a realtive question. There are something I find easier about English, but then I again I have grown up speaking it. But as other have said all languages have their diffculties for learners.

That depends in the kind of person you are... To me english was harder at spaeking than Spanish and reading and writing was much easier when I was learning English grin cheese

English probably because there is alot of wierd grammer rules but it also really just depends on the person.

Again, depends. The basic grammar of English is easier as any English speaker who starts conjugating Spanish verbs knows. However, the language and vocabulary that "surrounds" the basic grammar in English can be painful for non-native speakers. One of the best examples was already mentioned: phrasal verbs (verbs consisting of a verb plus a preposition).

I personally have to choose English. The reason being is that both my parents and pretty much everyone in my general locale speak English. I haven't had to try or anything and have become quite adept at speaking English. Spanish on the other hand has been much more difficult.

However, that being said, I've read that the Chinese is the toughest language to learn, followed closely by English.

I think it's too difficult to work out which would be the more difficult language to learn as it would depend on your own individual circumstances. However, I feel that a persons ability to learn a language will depend greatly on how interested they are in the culture(s) associated with it and also if learning that language would be of any use to them. The more you want/need to learn a language the more resilient you will be when faced with any difficulties the language throws at you.

Todlers face the same learning problems with any language.

There are not difficult languages. Just individual obstacles to overcome

I've heard this question asked for many years. This time around, I'm wondering why the answer even matters.

If you want to choose to learn a language, there are far more important considerations than "how easy" or "how hard" it is to learn.

Do you plan to live in one of several countries where different languages are spoken?

Do you love the sound of one language more than another?

I'm just saying ...

No one language is any harder or easier than another. Every language is different in its own way. Each one has its difficulties and each one is beautiful in its own way as well.