Hoy se celebra el día de La Virgen de Guadalupe! | SpanishDict Answers

Today is a very special day throughout Latin America, and especially Mexico, where it is a national holiday. The Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Students of Latin American culture are sure to be familiar with it.

Read more about this holiday here...

Virgen De Guadalupe (wikipedia)

What a beautiful day, thanks for sharing it with us Joe smile

Yes, my husband and I are in our apartment in Puerto Vallarta. La Virgen de Guadalupe is the patron saint of Puerto Vallarta, and from December 1 - December 12 there are processions in the streets from about 4 PM until 9 or 10 PM. As the calendar gets closer to December 12, the processions increase in number and intensity.

Each "peregrinación" has at least one band and/or drum and bugle corps. All have some sort of "float" with a live Virgen de Guadalupe as well as Juan Diego. Many have Aztec dancers. The more elaborate Aztec dancers set controlled fires in the streets

The street is packed with onlookers, vendors of everything from cotton candy and all types of food as well as various types of toys and Santa Claus hats. Especially the last few days, it is almost impossible to walk anywhere in the area, as the processions are constant with no break between the groups.

The side streets have stands that sell the traditional tamales, pastries and other types of "antojitos".

The noise of the bands and the "peregrinos" singing "la Guadalupana" combined with the drum and bugle corps and the Aztec horns as well as the vendors and the excitement of the onlookers can make normal conversation impossible.

This morning at 6 AM "las mañanitas" was sung at the Catedral de Guadalupe, followed by 20 minutes of fireworks which could be heard booming throughout the Bay of Banderas.

I have a hundred pictures on my ipod, and if I ever figure out how to post them here I will do it. (Sorry - I just got the ipod and am still learning the very basics.)

• Thanks Mountaingirl for this information. - Don_José Dec 12, 2010 flag

Today is very well special day,Virgin of Guadalupe.

• Hello Carmen! Welcome to the foum! Today is very special, the day of the Virgen of Guadalupe. - Don_José Dec 12, 2010 flag

I have to tell you what happened this morning at 2:30 IN THE MORNING!!

We are having a blizzard here in Chicago...very early in the year to have weather this bad. The snow is flying sideways in BOTH directions at once and the temperature was about -15 C. Nevertheless, in the middle of the night, there was a PARADE down a very busy street in the suburbs of Chicago. It was a parade for the Virgin of Guadalupe. The police blocked off streets so that this parade could happen.

No one had ever heard of such a thing....a parade in the middle of the night during a blizzard.

Is this common in Mexico? (not the blizzard part, but the parade in the middle of the night part)......

As far as I can remember her revelation happened in the 16th century, which was quite helpful for Mexicans to preserve their own religious indentity, distinct from Spanish, which, in turn, was also the basis for building their national identity as a country. They didn't want to adopt Spanish saints. ¿Es verdad o no?

• See the link under the photo of the Virgen top of page. - Don_José Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • I've already read it. However, the historical analysis of Tonantzin begins there only in the 18th century. What about her significance many years before the revolution? - bomberapolac Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • Tyr this..http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonantzin - Don_José Dec 12, 2010 flag
  • Thanks, I'll check it out tmrrw. But that's in Spanish. - bomberapolac Dec 12, 2010 flag

A replica of the shroud travels around the world. It came to St Lucia where I live about 4 or 5 years ago. It is an amazing and very inspirational story.

Me he acordado de mi amigo gringo que en Méjico me preguntó: Wanda, sabes de dónde viene la Virgen de Guadalupe ? Sin embargo, era muy culto i sabioso. Pero no todos tienen que trabajar como detectivos, ¿no creéis? wink Solamente es una digresión

• Estámos afortunados, ¿no crees? Tenemos google, yahoo, etc. Todo el mundo puede hacerse detective! - Don_José Dec 12, 2010 flag

The cathedral in Dodge is named for The Virgin of Gudadalupe. I went to the grocery store and they were giving away pieces of homemade tamal with the recipe in celebration. Yumm

Virgen de Guadalupe

________Canción____________ Virgen de Guadalupe, Señora de los encuentros, Compañera de los pobres, Talismán de los poetas,

Guarda la felicidad de todos, Virgen patrona de Guadalupe, Que sólo duramos en la vida, Lo que dura esta canción,

No tengo nada, De lo que pueda quejarme, Todo lo que busco está en el aire, En el cielo azul donde eres reina, En el cielo azul donde eres reina,

Virgen de Guadalupe, Virgen de Guadalupe, ...