both "te quiero" and "te amo" are translating to " I love you". What is the difference and when do you use each?

My teacher in Madrid this summer explained that in Spain one reserves "te amo" for the deep and profound feelings for the one love of their life.

She said that in South America, it is common to use the verb "amor" to express affection for many people, places and things. In Spain this is not done.

• It is th verb "amar" to love - dewclaw Nov 11, 2010 flag

It's like this. You have a friend who is not a girlfriend or boyfriend, but you love them in a friendly way. you would say Te quiero. However, you can also say this for a boyfriend or a girlfriend.

You would use "te amo" just for a boyfriend or girlfriend. Hope thats clear

In Spain you only see "te amo" in books. People normally use "querer" most of the time.

I Googled this question and found this: "Te quiero" and "Te amo" are both phrases that serve to say "I love you."

"Te quiero", however is a flexible phrase. It has a direct translation of "I want you" and therefore has more of a sexual flair than "Te amo." At the same time, "Te quiero" can also be used amongst family and friends.

(Ex. as a closing for a Mother's Day card or on a friend's birthday card)

"Te amo" always means "I love you" in a romantic manner which is meant to be used between couples or people that have romantic feelings for one another.

• Lazarus is right, between lovers it is said "te quiero" too. - cogumela Nov 11, 2010 flag
  • And "te quiero" is not sexual for me. "I want you" is more like "te deseo" - cogumela Nov 11, 2010 flag

"Te quiero", however is a flexible phrase. It has a direct translation of "I want you" and therefore has more of a sexual flair than "Te amo."

I can't speak for other countries, but my mother called me the other day and said to me "Te quiero", and I doubt she had any sexual intentions. Your comment definitely does not apply in Spain.

Just to confuse matters more my husband often said to his sister te amo mami as often as te quiero ,so I think its just depends on the person and the situation and how much love or feelings you have for that person