There is a college in California known as "Las Positas," which some people think means "little (water) wells." The Spanish-English disctionary suggests that the correct Spanish translation for little water wells would be "los pozitos" or "los pozos pequenos," and that "las positas" means "little bells" that are used in religious services for the deceased.

Please answer the question: What is the correct English translation of "las positas"?

1 . Knell, toll 2 - Pause in funeral procession to sing the responses. 3 - (In plural) Buttocks, seat behinds. :

posita, diminutive for

posa.

(De posar).

1. f. Clamor de campanas por los difuntos.

2. f. Parada que hace el clero cuando se lleva a enterrar un cadáver, para cantar el responso.

3. f. ant. Descanso, quietud, reposo.

4. f. ant. pausa.

5. f. pl. p. us. nalgas (‖ porciones carnosas y redondeadas).

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Hi there, answer 1 is right, but it really depends what Spanish are you referring to, there is some differences in that type of tricky words depending on the nationality of who is speaking, I'm assuming that if this is in California i will think is Mexican, I cannot tell you the right translation as my first language is Spanish and I don't have a quite good vocabulary in English, even though I can tell you that "POSITA" can be a little pond as well, hope it helps

Cheers

I have also seen it defined as "little puddles".

Given that the college is in Livermore, CA, I will guess that this applies: Rancho Las Positas was a 8,880-acre (35.9 km2) Mexican land grant in present-day Alameda County, California given in 1839 by governor Juan Alvarado to Robert Livermore and Jose Noriega.[1] Las Positas means "little watering holes" in Spanish. The rancho included the present-day city of Livermore. from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Las_Positas