Is it Me llamo or Me llama? | SpanishDict Answers

I know that in spanish they separate the noun and adjective in male or female. I'm confused in using "My name is..." I'm a female and i know that in spanish it all ends with an "a". But in the course it's telling me that it's "Me llamo..".

My question is:

1. If i ask someone's name (male), should I ask " ¿Cómo se llama? or¿Cómo se llamo?", or it doesn't matter whether it's male or female?

2. Should I answer, "Me llama...." or "Me llamo.."??

Thanks a lot guys. I know it's really basic, im a newbie. So thanks for the help... smile

Me llamo. The verbs don't change based on gender, only on number.

¿Cómo se llama? = What is your name?
Me llamo... = My name is ...

To expand on KevinB's response, the literal translation of "¿Cómo se llama?" is something like "What do they call you?" So, as KevinB said, we're dealing with a verb (llamar, i.e., to call), not a noun or adjective. As a result, you do not separate the word based on gender, but simply conjugate the verb. Here is this website's conjugation table for llamar: http://www.spanishdict.com/conjugate/llamar.

As to your first question, to ask a male's name you say: "¿Cómo se llama?"

As to your second question, because the first-person of llamar is llamo, you say: "Me llamo....."

Hope this helps!

it is a reflexive verb.......it is really saying how do u call urself.......no matter the gender you should always answer me llamo......if you are asking someone their name then you say como se llama.........wen u say me llamo it means.....I call myself or I am called

"¿Cómo se llama?" is the formal way of asking "What do you call yourself?" It can get tricky because it can also mean "what is his/her name?". As mentioned above, you can say "¿Cómo te llamas?". This is the informal way of asking what someone calls theirself.
No matter what the form of the question, the response is "me llamo (your name)".

Me llamo Mi nombre es Soy Or simply say your name, like if you're asked "What's your name?" just say John "¿Cómo te llamas?" John

This is a simple thing, as it's something you often hear or are familiar with before you learn Spanish, but I forgot it anyway. The difference is simply that the verb is "llamarse" not just "llamar." I was confused because I thought it was something like gustar, where it's always conjugated in the third person singular.