Como se dice "Welcome Back" en español? | SpanishDict Answers

To welcome someone back what do you say?

Some people will disagree with me, but this is what I think: there is no proper translation to that in Spanish. We welcome people whenever they arrive, but we do not have a simple way of express "You left and now that you are back, we welcome you again". If you think it is weird that we do not have that, I can give you hundreds of examples of things in English that are extremely weird to all non-English speakers of the world, and you take for granted. "Bienvenido de nuevo" can be said, but it feels unnecessary and even silly in our language. We say things like "¡Oh, ya has vuelto!" (Oh, you're back!), but we do not have a phrasal verb like you do to say this. English is not the language of the gods; we do not have to speak like you do; your language is not the canon of how people should speak. In Spanish we do not say "welcome back", but "Welcome again", and it sounds funny, if not ironical.

Again, I can think of hundreds (if not thousands) of things that we say in Spanish that are untranslatable into English, so just accept it: languages are different.

Now, go and translate the Mexican "Ándale" properly into English, if you can.

• Great. - cogumela Oct 29, 2010 flag
  • Estoy completamente de acuerdo contigo Lazarus :) - FELIZ77 Oct 29, 2010 flag
  • Totally agreed, you are right!! nice explanation! - Milagro1983 Oct 29, 2010 flag
  • Interesting point. I've never thought about it, but I've never heard or read anything in Spanish that means precisely "welcome back". "Welcome" has always seemed sufficient. - KevinB Oct 29, 2010 flag
  • I have heard ándale used in Mexico to mean something like "go on!" or "yes!" when we are having an interesting discussion. I think it is also used in different contexts, though. That was just my experience with it. - athegr8 Oct 30, 2010 flag

Maybe I'm completely off base, but I think all that is necessary is bienvenido. For example, if your friend went on vacation and returned, if you told your friend bienvenido he would understand you were welcoming him back from his vacation. I've never heard anything different as it regards welcoming someone 'back'.

Bienvenido de nuevo.

• Sorry, but I disagree! - lazarus1907 Oct 29, 2010 flag
  • Read your post and taken on board, it was all I could think of as de nuevo is often used to say again. - kenwilliams Oct 29, 2010 flag

Bienvenido de nuevo o Bienvenido nuevamente.

• Excuse my French, but your suggestion is "rubbish". We do not speak like that in Spanish! - lazarus1907 Oct 29, 2010 flag

How about "hola otra vez"?

bienvenido de regreso o bienvenido de nuevo.