No tiene un buen hueso en todo el cuerpo | SpanishDict Answers

No tiene un buen hueso en todo el cuerpo. I nearly said this today, and then thought better of it. I'm betting it doesn't translate. Es un mal hombre. What's the Spanish way to say this? Gracias.

I've heard "un bueno para nada" and "un zero a la izquierda".

I wasn't aware of this idiom, so I thought your sentence was about broken bones in an accident. Obviously I inferred from your question that the expression uses a metaphor, infusing badness into bones in a way. So, no, it doesn't work, and it won't be understood. We often say "Es una mala persona", "Tiene mala leche" (bad blood) and many other expressions that I can't think of right now.

• The idiom means things like: he is completely bad; he doesn't have even the smallest bit of goodness in him; he is mean through and through. - webdunce Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • Tiene mala leche? I like it. Bad milk though, how is that related to blood? Gracias. - jeezzle Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • I think the milk/blood connection comes from archaic medical theories like around the time of Galen - nizhoni1 Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • All his blood was "milked " out of him. Milk is the life-blood of mankind. Archaic as you say. - ray76 Oct 24, 2010 flag

Sangre pesada...un tipo asqueroso.

Es más malo que pegarle a la madre.

Now, to use your phrase (even though I never heard it before) I would twist it a little to give the idea of bad person:

No tiene un hueso de bueno en todo su cuerpo

Sorry I never heard this expression. Other can be "Es una mala persona"

I have heard several versions of this saying in English, "He/She doesn't have a mean bone in His/her body." "He/She doesn't have a jealous bone in His/her body." "He/She doesn't have a unkind bone in His/her body."

• These are, of course, the complete opposite. In these case, the English means the person doesn't have a single bit of meanness or rudeness in them; they are completely kind and good; they are good and kind through and through. - webdunce Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • Well said. He/she does not have a (blank) bone in his/her body means they are not at all (blank), whatever (blank) is. - KevinB Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • Though I agree that it is mostly used in the positive sense. I've never heard jeezzle's phrase in English, either. - KevinB Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • Correct, I have only heard it in the positive as a good thing not a bad one. - Nilda-Ballar Oct 23, 2010 flag
  • That's not to say jeezzle's phrase is incorrect, but its not common knowledge amongst Enlish speakers. It's a new variation that English speakers would probably understand, but it's nonstandard - KevinB Oct 23, 2010 flag

I have never heard this expression in my life, He does not have a mean bone in his body is what I am used to hearing, and for a bad person He is rotten to the core.

I agree with Webdunce's assessment: a thoroughly rotten person. It is not an expression I recall ever using myself, though.

I have heard this expression many times. I grew up in the Northeast and Midwest. Maybe it's a regional thing.