Eres vs Es | SpanishDict Answers

I've been told that when describing someone, you use "es".

Ex: "Ella es desordenada" or "Usted es desordenada"

But when talking about the person you're with, like a friend, you would say "eres" instead of "es".

Ex: "Tu eres desordenada"

instead of

"Tu es desordenada"

Por qué?

It's simply a matter of Spanish conjugation.

Tú eres

Usted es

Ella / Él es

It will come more naturally to you if you just accept it as you know it to be without comparing languages. As long as you compare, you will continue to think in English while attempting to speak in Spanish and this will make your acquisition of the language much more difficult than it needs to be. wink

El aprendizaje del español no tiene que ser una tormenta.

• Oh it's not that I'm comparing it to english, I just get so curious about why such and such is this way and so on. :) Kinda like...I have an ant problem so I read just about everything to do with ants. - Tormenta Sep 29, 2010 flag
  • By the way, "El aprendizaje del español no tiene que ser una tormenta." this made me chuckle a bit, since Storm is my real name. - Tormenta Sep 29, 2010 flag
  • You have a very nice name! - JulianChivi Sep 29, 2010 flag

Welcome tormentagrin

The verb needs to be conjugated for each person differently, unlike in English, even though the verb to be does have a slightly more sophisticated conjugation.

Look for the conjugation on our tabwink

When to use soy, eres, es, somos, sois, and son?

This answered my question in a way, it also made me remember french class and how they have a similar rule for it.

If you didn't use the correct conjugation with the right person it would sound like us saying:

They is .....

in English smile