¿que método es bueno para memorizar nuevas palabras? | SpanishDict Answers

hi, i have a good time learning english but i feel a little stagnant with my vocabulary, i want to know if you know some method to memorize new words.

thanks

Aside from this awesome community, I would strongly suggest that you put post-its all around your house! Everything from the pictures on your walls to closets (and things in them). If you have children they can play along as well. Hope this helps!! smile Welcome to the forum!!

I think that reading is probably the single most effective form of increasing your vocabulary. One thing that you can do when you come across words with which you are unfamiliar is to write them down in a notebook (along with the context) and then to use the internet later to find other examples of the word in various contexts (I often do a google book search of the word or search newspapers for the word).

By looking at a word from various angles (i.e. in various contexts), it can help you to understand how the word is used in the language you are learning. In this way, you can develop a better feel for the word and how it is used and how it fits into a sentence. Creating flashcards out of these sentences (or writing them down in a notebook) and reviewing them from time to time can also be beneficial.

I like to read the dictionary. (OK, I was a nerd before the word was even invented...) You can also read excellent literature (I love Wallace Stegner).
Also learn about a subject that you know little about. There is often corresponding concepts and corresponding vocabulary that may be new to you. Such is the joy of learning language.

Also, stick around here, because, as an international community, we are teaching each other new words and phrases all of the time. Welcome!!

I also recommend reading books, even the worst of the bunch will probably teach you new words, and best of all in a context. The language used in most TV shows and movies is surprisingly unimaginative - except in vulgarity and profanities- so you won't learn a whole lot of words in those.

I keep a notebook of new words I come across (reading the paper, my textbooks, novels, and just asking myself if I know the word in Spanish when I think something in English). I look them up and write them out in the notebook, and they keep it around so I can read it when I have a free moment.

You could also go the traditional route and make flashcards. I don't do for many words because it generally tends to oversimplify things and make you not consider the nuances of the translations and how there are often several translations and they depend on context.

Why not reading the latest novel of your favourite writer directly in Spanish (translated if the original is in English, obviously)? One of the key factors when learning a new language is to enjoy, and if you know you are going to enjoy the book, you'll try harder to understand, and knowing the context and the theme will allow you to understand and retain a lot more vocabulary much more easily.

It worked for me, at least.

My method - as always, designed specifically to be as short as possible and to require as little effort as possible, is to record a tape where you say all the words you dont know, and translations one after another. Depending on how many words, the tape can last anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes. Then, in free time, just listen to the tape again and again.

This is probably to mundane to sit down and listen to, so perhaps listen to this only when you are doing something else. I did it when i went for a cycle, though unfortunately, i didnt learn the words which played when i was cycling into the wind and hence couldnt hear anything.

Go over the words as many times as you can through out the day.

lol you know what is funny, I'm learning English and all the answers were in english huhuuhhuuhhu , it's ok , it's takes a time to understand and translate but thanks to everybody...