I recall learning years ago that the color orange in Spanish was anaranjado; however, one of the flash card sets translates the color as naranja. I was under the assumption that naranja referred to the orange fruit. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks!

• definitely a regional thing. "anaranjado" is understood everywhere even if it is not used in a specific area. - mountaingirl Sep 16, 2010 flag

I think Santi's answer is a bit strong. It may be a personal preference and/or regional thing, but it is perfectly fine to call the color orange anaranjado. This question has been asked on the forums before, so you can do a search to get a few more opinions, if you like. Here's a link to a previous question on the topic.

One of the first things you learn in the Latin American Spanish 1 in Rosetta Stone is >"anaranjado" as the color for orange. However, when I go to Mexico I always hear >naranjo, so I sort of forgot about anaranjado until I saw this post. Wondering if it is >regional thing.

J

Jeremias: I have no idea what version of Rosetta Stone you're using, but in the two years I've had Latin American Spanish, it's NEVER taught "anaranjado" as you're saying. Look at just two of the examples in the screen image. This is from Level 1 Unit 2 or RS, as you can see on the screen shot.

RS_Image

• The version I refer to, which I did about 4 years ago, was Rosetta Stone Latin America Home School edition. - Jeremias Sep 16, 2010 flag
  • I wonder why content would be different, this is so strange to me. They've had Version 1, 2 and now 3, so content must have changed or been corrected. - Jack-OBrien Sep 16, 2010 flag

Hello . the color orange in spanish is : "Naranja" o "Color naranja" You mustn't say "Anaranjado" , that sounds ugly when you speak spanish. for example:

Wrong : Tu camisa es anaranjada. Goog: Tu camisa es de color naranja /

Hola. El color Orange en español es : "Naranja" o "Color naranja". Tu no deberías decir "Anaranjado", eso suena feo cuando hablas español

One of the first things you learn in the Latin American Spanish 1 in Rosetta Stone is "anaranjado" as the color for orange. However, when I go to Mexico I always hear naranjo, so I sort of forgot about anaranjado until I saw this post. Wondering if it is regional thing.

J

Thanks so much, santiagorojas!

Naranja is the correct word for the fruit and the color orange

anarajada = orangeade (sparkling/carbonated orange squash)

eg: "Bebió zumo de naranja todos los días" = "He drank orange juice every day"

pero, "Fue un globo anranjado" = "it was an orangey coloured balloon"

anaranjado1 adj = orangish (AmE) orangey (Br E)

anaranjado 2 orangish colour (Am E) Orangey colour (Br E)

I hope this helps grin

Ref Source for confirmation Oxford Spanish Dictionary (3rd Edition) except my examples above

Another article on these two words that might interest you.

concordance with naranjo & anaranjado