"lazo de derecho – con la nacionalidad – lazo de hecho" | SpanishDict Answers

Contexto: Ello es lo que permite articular la ciudadanía que el Estado promueve – lazo de derecho – con la nacionalidad – lazo de hecho.

I know it can be knot, bond and so on but this must be a specialised use regarding the law and nationhood. I'm guessing "bond of law" nationality... something to do with willingness? I'm confused perhaps a native speaker knows this term? Thanks in anticipation.

Well I don't really get all the context just from that sentence alone, but the word "lazo" in that context means "bond", sort of like a "bond" between a person and its country. The difference between "lazo de hecho" and "lazo de derecho", could be the difference between belonging to a nation just by being a member of that community "de hecho", and the fact that you have rights and obligations that derive from being a legal citizen "de derecho". At least those expressions are also used in other contexts, like "parejas de hecho", which is a way to describe unmarried couples that act as if they were legally married, but depending on the country may not have the same rights as if they were a "pareja de derecho", or married.

• That is very helpful. The article is discussing the (in his view) uneasy relationship Spain has witrh Europe so it fits. Thanks very much - lagartijaver Sep 13, 2010 flag

I think the fact is, "it", whatever it be, allows to connect (like a bridge) both concepts, citizenship and nationality.

The problem, this two concepts can be very similar. For highlighting the difference:

Citizenship, understood as a right (theoretical, from law) and Nationality understood as a reality (practical, physical)

Then lazo means here "ligado a" ,"relacionado con" or "entendido como"

• That helps. particularly "ligado" "relacionado con" or "entendido como" but I'll wait in the hope that some legal/politics type comes up with it as a specialised phrase. Thanks a lot. - lagartijaver Sep 13, 2010 flag

HI bird, is this copied correctly? It should be a la ciudanía I suppose....check that first.

• de todas formas, tal como está la frase....parece chino - 00494d19 Sep 13, 2010 flag
  • Yes it's correct "ciudadanía" means citizenship. It's a tough one - lagartijaver Sep 13, 2010 flag
  • sorry, I meant "a la ciudadanía." ?? - 00494d19 Sep 13, 2010 flag

Ves, bird, tres españoles contestando, pero ...no falta "a" delante de cuidanía?

¿Y qué pinta articular? No entiendo nada...menos mal que bill ha dicho esto:

Well I don't really get all the context just from that sentence alone,

De todas formas , lo de lazo de hecho y lazo de derecho...es un juego de palabra , ya que hablamos de pareja de hecho etc cuando hablamos de parejas que no se han casado.

• Aha! very clever, you mean there is the sense of a marriage not formalised perhaps. Still not too sure of it though. - lagartijaver Sep 13, 2010 flag

I'm going for the play on words idea so I've written :This is what allows the public to articulate what the state brings about- the bond of the deed of law and with nationality - a bond indeed. Phew!! grin

• sounds great...jeje even though this is really weird, can you do me a favour and vote on alvite's phrase for jenny? - 00494d19 Sep 13, 2010 flag
  • Yes I'll have a look now - lagartijaver Sep 13, 2010 flag

"lazo de hecho" = "de facto bond" perhaps?