4

how do i tell someone "bless you" in spanish when they sneeze?

7

I think I've heard the word "Salud" also being used to say "Bless you".

• Sep 10, 2010

• I have also heard answered with Salud :) - mickermouse2 Sep 10, 2010
4

You say salud in Costa Rica but in Peru you don't say anything. In the mountains the people think that when someone sneezes they are thinking of their mistress so if you say God bless you, then they will laugh at you.

• Sep 10, 2011
  • That's funny, and worth a vote. - KevinB Sep 10, 2011
3

I have always said "Jesús".

Update:

Collins Dictionary - Bless you (after sneezing) - Jesús.

• Sep 10, 2010
  • | Edited by Eddy Sep 10, 2010
2

I'm used to say just Jesús, but I don't know what do they say in other countries( I've never heard Dios le bendiga in this context, but it might be used somewhere).

• Hi! Let me put on my teacher hat! When you say "I am used to" as in "that is my custom/what i usually do" you must follow it with the gerund. "I'm used to saying" "Used to going" etc - rabbitwho Sep 10, 2010
  • I would have problems with saying Jesús as a Practising Christain as we should not use the Lord's name in vain sO can I say "Salud" instead ? - FELIZ77 Sep 10, 2010
  • Thank you, rabbit, I'm used to writing and rewriting and I should get used to checking what I wrote... - LoaEtayo Sep 12, 2010
2

I use "Jesús" and "Salud" in Spain.

• Sep 10, 2010
2

Around Southern California, the most frequently heard is Salud! But even here, I have heard of Dios le bendiga. If I heard Jesús, I didn't recognize it for what it was meant - now I will listen for that, as well!

Thanks, Questions and Answers!

• Sep 10, 2010
2

For short, le bendiga is bless you. No body says god bless you , we jus bless you. So no need to say dios le bendiga, just say le bendiga (leh Ben Dee Gah)

• Sep 10, 2011
  • Nobody?!? Apparently, you don't know very may English speakers. - samdie Sep 11, 2011
2

For multiple sneazes there's also:

Salud, Dinero y Amor! ...y tiempo para disfrutarlos

After the first sneeze it's "salud", the second, "dinero", and obviously after the third one "amor".

You can also use this as a toast (brindis).

• Sep 11, 2011
1

I believe you say -
Dios le bendiga

• Sep 10, 2010
1

It is interesting. I found one equivalent. Please don't laugh but it sounds so smile "María y José" LOL

(By the way in my country when someone sneezes we also say "True", which means that someone said or thought something that is true! ) cool smile

• Sep 11, 2011
1

in my way of speaking i say jesus (hes-us)

• Sep 11, 2011
0

You can say "Jesús" or Jesus, Maria y José". As a toadt, Spanish people say "Salud, pesetas y amor". I am a fluent speaker who has lived in Spain for 5 years and I am married to a Spaniard.

• Oct 5, 2014
0

Obviamente hay muchas variedades entre los paises. En México todo el mundo dice ¡Salud! hasta para el brindis también si no tienen nada más que decir.

• Oct 5, 2014