What is herb in Spanish meaning as basil, rosemary, thyme, etc? | SpanishDict Answers

Which "herb" translation in Spanish should I use to refer to basil, rosemary, thyme, etc type herb?

Hierba- An herb you can eat

Hortalisa- An herb used only for cooking

Hope that helps!

• I believe you mean "Hortaliza". However, "hortaliza" is really a generic term for any sort of edible vegetable you'd grow on a garden or vegetable patch, not herbs. - Gekkosan Sep 9, 2010 flag
  • Hortaliza can also be understood to mean a garden where one would plant vegetables, etc. - Jannis Oct 21, 2013 flag

Hello Twesely, welcome to the Forum. I assume you mean the generic: "hierba" or "yerba" if it's fresh, "especias" if they're dry or powered.

On top of the SpanishDict page you'll also find a handy dictionary where you can find translations for most of the words you may need, including the names of different herbs and spices.

What's wrong with hierba? You could have looked that up by going to the dictionary tab and typing in "herb".

For a little etymology, try this link:

link text

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

J

• Using the word "hierba" alone can give the idea one is talking about a weed. - Jannis Oct 21, 2013 flag