5

According to speakers of Spanish, which country is more or less singled out for having the dialect and/or accent that is the most difficult to understand for speakers of Spanish from other countries?

Jay gulp

3

I've heard from native speakers that people from both Andalucia and Argentina are difficult to understand.

As a native English speaker, I find the accents from Madrid and Barcelona very pleasant (this is from tv and podcasts) also Ecuador. (from a friend and also my BBC Intermediate Spanish course CD's).

I love this page, you can hear accents from all over the place! All reading the same text.

link text

• Sep 8, 2010

• of course, madrid is the b e s t place ever!!! jeje - 00494d19 Sep 8, 2010
  • Awesome website!!! Thanks galsally. - jforgit Sep 8, 2010
  • How do Native English speakers sound? You have got me there galsally jejejeje, i love this page too, go for it gal! - ray76 Sep 9, 2010
  • Well that's a good question Ray! To me, of course I have no accent, but to many I would have a definite southern accent. :) - galsally Sep 9, 2010
  • oh and I never knew where in Spain you came from Heidi! That's really cool. :D - galsally Sep 9, 2010
4

Some of my friends are in a Facebook group called "No hablo un mal castellano, hablo un perfecto andaluz!". I think that says it all... LOL

• Sep 8, 2010
  • jajajaja exactly , I've seen that too. I hear a lot of words from Arabic when an Andaluz friend of mine talks, for example Nobody but Andaluz people knows what "Bidón" is. But in Turkish also there is that word ,because here are a lot of words from arabic - culé Sep 8, 2010
  • oh by the way "bidón" means "bin" :D generally they use it like : "El bidón de la basura" so do I in turkish!!! :D - culé Sep 8, 2010
3

G'day, and welcome . I think you may find that mine is the most difficult to understand and decipher ,but I am open to be challenged by a more learned and erudite member. grin cool smile

• Sep 8, 2010
  • What is yours? Yanqui dialect? - jforgit Sep 9, 2010
  • Australian antideluvian. Yesero is quite good with translations. - ray76 Sep 9, 2010
3

Try learning spanish in the Murcia province. It´s every bit as difficult as understanding Andaluz but for a different reason. As I´ve mentioned before, Murcians consistently drop the endings from words when speaking so if you haven´t got your ear tuned in for many years it is almost unintelligible.

• Hasta luego becomes sta luego or even alo!

• más becomes ma

• dos becomes do

• buenos días become bono día

• gracias become gracia

• and the list goes on. What a nightmare.

Thankfully I live in Spain and I am a sad person who watches the spanish parliament on tv and am able to understand it and ´get into it´ because their diction and vocabulary is good and they tend to enunciate their words correctly and clearly. El señor Zapatero is particularly easy on the ear and Rajoy is not a bad speaker either. This is, of course, just my personal opinion.

• Sep 8, 2010
  • Well , I spent my holiday in Los Alcazares, Murcia and I think even if it 's different , it's not difficult to understand. You are right about endings but you can understand it :D - culé Sep 8, 2010
  • Oh yes, I can now but it was not the pure castellano that I was expecting and I have found it difficult not to get into those bad pronunciation habits. Educated Mucianos think it sounds dreadful - MaureenPeter Sep 8, 2010
2

I second the 'Andalucia' comment.

-Charlius-

• Sep 8, 2010
2

I have a hard time understanding my Mexican friends, not because of the pronunciation, but because of the rich Mexican slang, full of Aztec, Mayan, Olmec and Toltec words. Very interesting and pretty, but very challenging if you just learned standard Spanish.

• Sep 8, 2010
1

I think it's difficult to understand all of the spanish people long face

But , I can understand easily the people from Argentina , Mexico , Peru and Colombia. I think this is because in Spain there are 4 cooficial languages, they talk changing the pure spanish, except Madrid, Murcia etc. ( those who don't have a second one. )

And my spanish friends told me that they can hardly understand the people form Ecuador.. hmmm LOL

• Sep 8, 2010
  • | Edited by culé Sep 8, 2010
1

I think the worse are "andalú" and "extremeño" grin

• Sep 8, 2010
0

Ignore this, I didn't register that the question is dialect.........Surely the Euskadi language, Basque.

• But that's not a dialect of Spanish. It's a totally different language that is spoken in parts of Spain. - samdie Sep 8, 2010
  • Right. Euskadi has nothing whatever to do with Spanish. (And yes, it's reputed to be extremely difficult) - Gekkosan Sep 8, 2010