For Ex. se necesita, se baila, se va, se compra, se tiene, y se toma.

That cannot be answered in a few short sentences. I would search for previous threads on the use of the reflexive pronoun se. Among the pronominal usages are reflexive se, passive se, reciprocal se, impersonal se, de-transitizing se, se with unforseen circumstances, se to emphasize completion or entirety and probably many others that I can't think of at the moment.

What does se mean in front of a word? For Ex. se necesita, se baila, se va, se compra, se tiene, y se toma.

If you are expecting a short answer, then it is NOTHING. It does not mean anything in particular, and it cannot be translated into English, because you don't have something like it. Besides, they can be used in many ways with different meanings, so if you don't put them in sentence and in a context, we can't even tell you what they mean at all.

So, what is it for and how do I learn it? It will take you time to learn how to use them and why, or a long time if you follow the wrong method or textbook.

My advice:

1) get a good book and learn one use at a time.

2) if the book calls everything with a "se" reflexive, throw the book away and get a decent one.

• Answers like this are the reason we need you to stick around here Lazarus. - Nicole-B Sep 5, 2010 flag

Lots of possible meanings/functions, depending on the context. For a detailed discussion uses of 'se'.

• Simply wonderful link Samdie! I am definitely going to bookmark this. - Izanoni1 Sep 6, 2010 flag
  • It was Lazarus who originally posted the link. I saved it because I liked the article. - samdie Sep 6, 2010 flag

Here are a few articles that might get you started:

Impersonal se

Passive se

Transitive/Instransitive

Hey, it means it is a reflexive verb. for example : se baila : bailarse

"Se baila mucho en mi pueblo"

It means, people dans a lot in my town., but you don't use a subject, so there is no one spesific who does it. It's a little bit like "passive" but it's not exactly passive.

As a reflexive prounoun, se means itself.