4

I am a girl and I want to tell my boyfirend "I miss you." He says to me "Te extraño". Do I say to him the same thing or "Te extraña"? What is the determining factor to make this sentence feminine or masculine?

1

There is no masculinity or femininity in this sentence.

Te is the direct object "you," so there's no change there. Extraño is basically "I miss..." The ending doesn't refer to male or female, but the person doing the action (first person singular).

Te extraña would be "he/she misses you."

• Sep 2, 2010
1

Verbs are not conjugated for gender - only nouns, pronouns, and adjectives.

You would say the exact same to your boyfriend "Te extraño"

"te extraña ..... He or she misses you

• Sep 2, 2010
1

This is a new word for me, and a little confused too.

Looking at the translations here:

extrañar = to be surprised extraño = strange (which is strange in itself)

I would say no, it's not an adjective so it wouldn't change based on gender. Although extraña also means strange (feminine)

Josh

• aww, makes sense now. - JoshuaBelden Sep 2, 2010
  • too; not to .... no; not know The adjective extrañ@ can be masculine or feminine - 0074b507 Sep 2, 2010
  • Lo siento gfreed. I understand the importance of being correct here. I'll be more careful. - JoshuaBelden Sep 2, 2010
  • miss you to - mendma08 Oct 3, 2011
1

Think of "extrañar" as "to find strange that [someone] away".

• Sep 2, 2010
0

Te extrano is basically "I miss you" Extranar,is when you're talking about present or future for example "I will miss you" Te voy a extranar....Extrano means strange,weird,and raro as a alien. rolleyes

• Sep 2, 2010
0

I would say that I miss y'all even though I don't know y'all.

2

Extrañar is a verb = to miss ; verbs in Spanish have no gender (no difference male vs female)

(yo) te extraño = I miss you (regardless of gender) - present tense (yo) te extrañare = I will miss you (regardless of gender) - future tense

extraño/extraña is an adjective (masculine/feminine) = strange

ese hombre es extraño = that man is strange esa mujer es extraña = that woman is strange

• Jan 13, 2012
  • Good post. This is often confusing when a very similar word has different meanings depending on its use as a verb or adjective, etc. - gringojrf Jan 13, 2012
0

• Te extraño = I miss you
  • Te extraña = He, or she misses you.
  • Te extraña? = Does he/she missed you?, or it can be "Does it surprises you? (This can be confusing but that's the way it is)"
  • Jan 13, 2012