How do I pronounce the letter y in Spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

I have been pronouncing the letter y and the "ll" sounds in Spanish like the letter "y" in English but sometimes, I hear "yo" or the letter y in Spanish pronounced like the letter "j" in English. Sometimes, the "ll" sounds like the "y" sound in English, but sometimes it sounds like "j" in English as well. Is this a regional difference? Or am I pronouncing these words wrong?

Hi Hola Lizita,

Usually y in a word like yo would be pronounced the same as y in english, but y by itself in spanish like "manzanas y naranjas" the y would be pronounced like "e" in English.

Hope this helps!

• Like the name of the letter "E" not the "eh" sound. ;) - rabbitwho Aug 26, 2010 flag

Hi Hola , Check this thread it will help you a lot How to pronounce "ll" and "y" in Spanish: voice recording by native speaker Carlos

y (i) As a vowel- in the conjunction y and, and at the end of a word such as Ley, Voy- is pronounced like i

semiconsonant; y (j) like y in English yes, yacht yunta, apoyo

consonant y (j) is pronounced like y in English yes,youth mayo,yo,mayor,ya

Even in dictionaries they do not know how to address this pronunciation and The IPA - international phonetic association- have given symbols for those few Spanish words were spelling and pronunciation are not in accord, such as reloj [re'lo]

It is regional or have cultural strength and in the case such as reloj you can have the pronunciation relo...w/out the J and it is acceptable throughout all the Spanish speaking world! so pick and choose as you wish...and have your personal touch...it will add personality and charm to your accent wink

Totally regional and an endless source of fun when latinos from multiple countries get together.

I always thought it interesting when some Spanish speaking people would pronounce "yo" like "joe" but then would pronounce my name as Yoyce.

• In Cuba it's pronounced like that I think, can anyone back me up on this? - rabbitwho Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • The Puerto Ricans I have known were those most likely to do this. I have been Yoycita to many Ecuadorians, who seem to love to "ita-ize" names. - JoyceM Aug 27, 2010 flag

I just returned from a couple of weeks vacation in Panamá, and asked this question from some native speakers there. They told me ll sounds like English "J" when a word starts with ll, (llamar, for example), but sounds like English "Y" elsewhere within words. Of course, this was regional, and it perhaps even varies within Panamá.