Difference between glad and happy | SpanishDict Answers

I have a lot of doubts accumulated. Another one:

-I'm happy because you're coming -I'm glad to hearing from you/ I'm happy to hearing from you/ I'm glad to see you (wrong?)

What's the difference?

Thanks LOL

There is no difference in those sentences. "Glad" and "Happy" are interchangeable there.

However, here are some sentences where "happy" is used but "glad" would generally not be used:

"Does he make you happy?"

"Happily ever after"

"Happy Birthday!"

• Ok, and the letter expresion...I'm glad to hearing from you? you can say it in another context and without ing? " I'm glad to pas my exam? - NeNuN Aug 26, 2010 flag

Hi! Don't forget "to" is part of the infinitive. You need to say "to hear" not "to hearing"

There's a very slight difference between the two words, but as was said in that sentence they're pretty much the same.

Glad is like "pleased". - Something has happened, which has made me happy. Happy is the emotion itself.

I wouldn't say "I am glad" without a reason, something has to make you glad. But I can be happy for no reason at all! :D

I'm glad to pass my exam

Is your exam in the future the past or the present?

If you are doing it now:

I'm glad I'm passing my exam! (It's very easy and I know I am passing it!)

If you did it in the past:

I'm glad I passed my exam.

If you are doing it in the future:

I'm glad I will pass my exam. (You are certain you will pass it)

I want to pass my exam! (You don't know if you will pass)

• Oh, clearer now. but you use I'm glad to or I'm glad +ing....in the set phrase I'm glad to hearing for you in a formal letter is rigth but is it only in this case this strange structure? - NeNuN Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • No no, "I'm glad to hearing" is wrong. To + verb + ing is always wrong. - rabbitwho Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • ok I'm glad to hear...and can you say I'm glad hearing...?the last question! I'¡m a pain in the neck hahah - NeNuN Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • Nope, "I'm glad" is usually followed by to + infinitive or the structures in the post above. You're not a pain in the neck! :) I'm glad to help! - rabbitwho Aug 26, 2010 flag

I'm glad to hearing from you? you can say it in another context and without ing? " I'm glad to pas my exam?

The correct phrases could be:

"I'm glad to hear from you" or "I'm happy to hear from you."

"I'm happy that I passed my exam" or "I'm glad that I passed my exam."

• ok glad or happy+ infinitive - NeNuN Aug 26, 2010 flag

Happy can be a long-term thing. You can have a happy life, even though some days aren't so nice, you are still happy. Or you can be happily married.

Happiness can also be short-term: I am happy now that I have eaten dinner.

But gladness tends to be only for short-term things, never for long term things.

• Yes, clearer now, thanks - NeNuN Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • But I'm glad I was born! I always have been and I always will be! (hopefully!) That's certainly long term. - rabbitwho Aug 26, 2010 flag
  • Yes, but you are glad *now* about that. - Goyo Aug 27, 2010 flag
  • Yes and I always have been glad about it. I could also say I was glad about it yesterday and for 10 years but now I want to jump off a bridge. It can be long term. It doesn't have to be now. I wonder where you got the idea it had to be short-term!? - rabbitwho Sep 1, 2010 flag

Glad is a result of something It is invoked by relief through a positive event.

I'm glad you liked it.

Whereas Happy is a mood or emotional condition, independent of anything

I'm feeling happy today.

We can replace happy with glad; but not the other way around.