In the Spanish phrase "El niño está corriendo" how is "esta" being used? | SpanishDict Answers

I'm learning Spanish through Rosetta Stone. In the program they use phrases such as the one in my question. This made me think that Esta was a form of the word is, and the Estan was a form of the word are, such as in the sentence El Nino y La Nina estan Corriendo. Can you please explain this.

Hi Werdna, and Bienvenido al foro! (Welcome to the forum!) I think you're going to really like this site!

I also have done some Rosetta Stone, and you're interpretation of the sentence is correct. It's pretty straightforward, "The boy is running". El niño y la niña están corriendo means "The boy and the girl are running". The "están" is the plural form, third person plural.

It sounds like you're getting it so far!

estan > estar = TO BE; Irregular.Imperative; esta (tu) Gerund: Estando

Present indicative: estoy, estas, esta, estamos, estais, estan

Present subjunctive: este, estes, este, estemos, esteis,esten

Preterite: Estuve, estuvistes,estuvo,estuvimos,estuvisteis,estuvieron

Hope the verb conjugations help you to understand correctly wink

A conjugated form of the verb "to be" used for (among other things) forming the progressive tenses (just as in English).