what does por que mean

Welcome to the forum

Porque means Because

and

¿Por qué? means why smile

Hi fuller ,por qué = why porque = because

we have a great dictionary at SD if you looked for any word on it you will find it :Dictionary

Welcome. You have to be careful.

¿Por qué? means Why?, it's two words, and it requires the accent mark over the 'e'.

Porque means because, is one word, and does not have an accent mark.

El porqué means the reason, is one word, and has the accent.

They all sound very similar.

• And all this time I thought the accent mark was so that they wouldn't be pronounced the same! - LateToDinner Aug 16, 2010 flag
  • You can say they sound alike, even a lot alike, but I don't think you should say they are pronounced the same! - LateToDinner Aug 16, 2010 flag
  • OK, you're right. Porque and porqué should not be pronounced the same. - KevinB Aug 16, 2010 flag

Actually, "por que" is also possible, but it is just a combination of two words that happen to appear one after another:

Haz lo que puedas por Manuel

Haz lo que puedas por que se cure = Do what you can so that he gets recovered

• then it's as much a coincidence as "however" vs. "how ever"... just a sort of extended linguistic arbitrariness. - 00494ed7 Aug 16, 2010 flag

porque = because

porqué = why

• por qué = why, porqué = reason (noun) - KevinB Aug 16, 2010 flag

Ejemplos: Examples:

1) Me encanta ir a la playa porque es bonia. I love to go to the beach because it is pretty.

2) ¿Por qué estarás aquí a las 8 y no 9 en la mañana? Why will you be here at 8 and not 9 in the morning?

3) Yo iría a escuela hoy, pero yo no siento bien. I would go to school today, but I don't feel well.