This expression is part of an exercise in a textbook. The question is ¿Verlo? and the answer is Pero ya lo han vista. I would guess that Verlo means something like "Did you see it?" However, I am puzzled because the answer is in the ellas/ellos/Uds. form, as shown by "han vista" . So... What does ¿Verlo? mean, and why is the answer not in yo or nosotros form (if it does mean "did you see it").

It's hard to say without context... but, verlo can mean the equivalent of "Seeing it?" in English, to which one could reply, "But they have already seen it." (or you - but they seems to make more sense).

What do you think?

J

• Yes, that seems like it would be most accurate to me. Unfortunately, as it's an exercise, it came with no context at all.... - kokolatte Aug 11, 2010 flag
  • Sorry I have only just read your comment here and was not previously aware that no other context was available - FELIZ77 Aug 11, 2010 flag

I agree that without context it would be very hard to know exactly / for certain

However the answer,"Pero ya lo han vista" translated,does mean "but they have already seen it" Jeremias is totally correct about that grin

So ... for the question to relate directly/correspond to the answer and make sense it would also have to mean:

See it? Perhaps meaning Did you see it? The but preceding the main sentence almost seems to imply: Well, even if you didn't see it they have already seen it

Are you sure that the answer is correct as han visto, and not ha visto o has visto ? I ask this because ha visto can also mean "Have youseen it? in the singular form and has visto would be the familiar form for You

Just a few thoughts. I hope that they help You grin

If you could give us any more context we might be able to provide you with a clearer or more conclusive answer

• Yes, the han visto was what tripped me up. I checked over and over. If it helps, the exercise also provides other words like 'hacerlo?' 'abrirlo?' and 'decirlo?', with the idea that you repeat "Pero ya lo han ____." - kokolatte Aug 11, 2010 flag
  • Then it would seem like they are teaching you the positioning of prepositions like it = lol/la which can be added to ithe end of 1. nfinitives and i2 peratives eg 1. hacer lo - FELIZ77 Aug 11, 2010 flag
  • the correct poistioning I mean and that in some sentances you need to place it before the verb other times attach it to the verb - FELIZ77 Aug 11, 2010 flag