Why use "estar" for "muerto"? | SpanishDict Answers

Why does one say está muerta rather than es muerta? I mean, death isn't exactly an impermanent condition, is it?

EDIT: Ooh, I just remembered something my second-year spanish teacher taught me about ser and estar. She gave us this "formula":

SER = x/y

ESTAR = x/x

That is to say, ser compares x to y, something to other things. Estar compares x to x, something to itself. So, "Es feliz" would mean "he is happy compared to everyone else", or he is a happy person. "Está feliz" would mean "he is happy compared to how he usually is", or he is happy right now. : )

• But you know what... profession is not permanent either (soy doctor, for example)... just one of those crazy things. - NikkiRivera Aug 10, 2010 flag
  • Acaso una pregunta mejor es necesitamos dos verbos por el frase "to be"? - fatchocobo Aug 11, 2010 flag

There are several answers to this. One, from a friend of mine in Spain, points out that Spain is a Christian country, and that for Christians, death is not permanent. That's an observation I thought of myself, but didn't expect it from this particular friend. Perhaps that has some bearing.

Or there is the fact that "muerto" is a condition, and condition always goes with estar. That is a far more firm rule than the temporary/ permanent rule you hear bandied about so much, and has led many very smart people to say the temporary/ permanent rule ought to be abandoned entirely.

Unfortunately, you hear the temporary/ permanent thing almost every place you turn. Even my friend from Spain saw it that way. So it's not going to go away in our lifetimes, and that likely means there is a reason for it. In cases where you might use either ser or estar and the meaning can change depending on which one you use, you can usually count on the more permanent one being ser.

That being said, use the temporary/ permanent rule with great caution. It's really nota hard and fast rule.

Maybe this will help:

Él está muerto ........... he is dead

Él es un muerto ....... he is a corpse

Since the uses of ser and estar have been discussed a lot of times in this forum, I would suggest that, if you have time, you search previous relevant topics. You will find a lot of interesting input there.

Also, on this site:

link text

you can find some more specific information about the phrase of your question (ser - estar muerto).

Hope it helps you!

grin

Bueno pongamolo de esta manera: En un noticiero hablado o escrito de X o Y pais: "Estas son las estadisticas del feriado de Semana Santa: El Viernes Santo, un autobus cargado con 30 pasajeros tuvo un accidente, muriendo 14 pasajeros. siete hombres fueron muertos y siete mujeres fueron muertas tragicamente." Lo que quiero decir es que en Espanol el sexo femenino se identifica con el adjetivo femenino, lo mismo con el sexo masculino. La exiistencia en sustantivo/adjetivo van de la mano de acuerdo a su genero. Una mujer fue muerta por un vehiculo no identificado muertras cruzaba el la calle. Un hombre fue muerto de un infarta cardiaco mientras su equipo favorito perdia el juego de futbol.

Se dice la casa. No el casa. Se dice la mujer. No el mujer. Se dice el hombre. No la hombre. La novia se ve hermosa en su vestido de novia. El novio se ve hermoso en su traje de novio. ////VALGA LA REDONDANCIA EN HERMOSO.

• This wasn't a question about gender. It was asking about "ser muerto/a" vs. "estar muerto/a." - hseminati Aug 10, 2010 flag

Correccion: Un hombre fue muerto de un INFARTO cardiaco mientras su equipo favorito perdia el juego de futbol.

• Puede editar su puesto en vez de crear uno de nuevo. - fatchocobo Aug 11, 2010 flag

si y se dice redUndancia, when I read this I ask myself "I speak spanish as my mother tongue for 31 years now, but I never read nothing that says "and condition always goes with estar." (and I think this is wrong) u could "estar feliz" o "ser feliz" both are conditions, even in my country u could "ser vivo" o "estar vivo" (the first one is slang) "ser casado" o "estar casado" sometimes u use "estar muerto" or "ser muerto" for example "una persona fue muerta de un disparo" "ahora está muerta"