The words "textear, textar, estar texteando" do N O T exist in Spanish. | SpanishDict Answers

In Nicole's thread almost all posts use textear.

RAE:

La palabra textear no está registrada en el Diccionario.

La campaña contra texteando

No sé cómo hacer textear por el teléfono

Yo pienso que textar en un celular cuando uno esta manejando es muy peligroso, aunque piensas que eres bueno a textar y manejar.

The correct verb or form is:

mandar un mensaje de texto, mandar un mensaje, mandar un S M S

• But S M S is an English acronym for Short Message Service. To be completely correct, shouldn't that be translated and converted to the Spanish acronym as well? - KevinB Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • yes, it should, in any case...we use send a message - 00494d19 Jul 28, 2010 flag

All joking aside, has there been any kind of linguistic study done about the invention and eventual acceptance of new words? For instance, when the internet (formerly: Internet) first started to boom, the 'correct' way to talk about email was "send an e-mail". We eventually decided to drop the hyphen, and even turn email into a verb. Nowadays, hearing someone say, "Email me." isn't uncommon at all.

I have to wonder, especially because the suggested correct form "mandar un mensaje de texto" almost already has the word "textear" in it, if that won't eventually just become accepted and added to the dictionary as well.

I definitely don't mean to derail your thread Heidi, but I'm curious as to what others think. Is it worth rigidly preserving something until it is 100% correct according to all governing bodies, or is promoting effective communication more important? What do you think?

• You did a much better job than I would have, but you got my sentiments acrossed. Thanks Sky... - kerflop Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • That's what I love about English, it's so willing to absord new words. - TheSilentHer Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Very eloquent and pertinent post, Sky. :) - galsally Feb 12, 2011 flag
  • quite right, language is always evolving :) - Kiwi-Girl Jun 7, 2013 flag

While I certainly do not want to contradict Heidita, nor am I capable of doing so. However, I must say that I found several usages of "textear," on the web by some reputable publications, including finding it in our own phrasebook, and approved!

Sometimes word are constantly used and adopted by the populace,well before the academics catch up.

examples:
Number 4 supports Heidita's assertion.

link text

link text

link text

link text

• Thanks for the links, I learned a lot today! - Silvia Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • 2 years on, you get my vote, it's in constant use. - annierats Jun 29, 2012 flag
  • estoy de acuerdo :) - Kiwi-Girl Jun 7, 2013 flag

Whoops, it is in the phrase book.. type in text message and you get textear.. Oh, oh. It's one of mine. Sorry.link text

Well, what if we're browsing SpanishDict while driving? Wouldn't typing "textear" be shorter, quicker, and therefore, more safe? wink

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

• lol - 00494d19 Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • It is illegal to text and drive in my state. I hope you hit a deer. :lol: :) - cheeseisyumm Feb 12, 2011 flag

Soccer, if you wish to use an incorrect expression, go ahead.

Joe, your links are all either American publications, or directly related to American countries.

In any case, the RAE is a dictionary for all Spanish speaking countries. The "word" textear does not exist and I find it personally awful that we should adapt our language to some kind of giberish invented and passed over to our language from English.

Textear is pure "spanglish", and , as I said before, fortunately not used in Spain.

Why don't you use: to drug? In Spain this is a verb.

me drogo = I drug

rolleyes

Como varias otras palabras nuevas y/o dudosas, "textear" no existe, pero se usa.

For instance, when the internet (formerly: Internet) first started to boom, the 'correct' way to talk about email was "send an e-mail". We eventually decided to drop the hyphen, and even turn email into a verb. Nowadays, hearing someone say, "Email me." isn't uncommon at all.

This is true, but it is true for English, not for Spanish. You can make almost out of any noun a verb. But we do not have to adapt to that , do we?

So, mandar un mensaje is longer...so what? Why is everybody in such a hurry?

If we did the same as the English, we would have invented: mensajear. shock

• I agree. - LuisaGomezBa Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Might be better to say "You can make a verb out of almost any noun" - Izanoni1 Jul 28, 2010 flag

In addition, some want to keep their language pure, and I can understand the instinct, however, languages evolve over time and incorporate things from other languages as a matter of evolution. Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese are Romance languages that have a basis in Latin, and even though English is a Germanic language, it has adopted many words from various languages, including Spanish! So, despite what purists may wish, languages will continue to change and evolve.

Well, this is an old thread from the golden Heidita days. tongue laugh

My simple answer to this is, as technology changes and improves, there has to be names and sometimes verbs developed to decribe/ discuss the new developments. Therefore languages are always changing whether people like it or not. smile Nobody would know what the heck you were talking about if you told them you were "Googling" something about 10 maybe close to 15 years ago. Now you always hear, "I'll google that later" and "One moment, I'm googling this or that". wink It's the way of the modern world. grin

Saludos,

DJ ((( d(-_-)b )))

Interesting old thread.

Wait, what is it we do in English, I forget?

Do we verb nouns? or Do we noun verbs?

Languages, all of them, change,or die. Those are the only two options.

In Physics and hard sciences, the academics are way out front, but in the field of language arts especially, they lag reality, often by a lot. And note, I have no real bias here. I was a dual major guy back in college way back, Engineering and Language&Lit;.

I think that people sometimes lose track of the fact that language rules simply seek to standardize and codify what people actually say. It is not the other way around. Languages evolve, continually. If language truly came from a logical, standardized, and stagnant central directorate, we'd have a lot less verbs in this world -- and none of them irregular smile

Lo siento mucho Heidita, pero seguiré usando textear. En inglés "text" no era verbo antes de "texting".

• seguiré usando isn't it? - jeezzle Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Yeah woops, i was thinking "continue to use". - socceryo3 Jul 28, 2010 flag

"mandar un mensaje de texto" almost already has the word "textear" in it,

smirk

It has the word "text" = "texto" in it, not the verb "to text", of recent invention.

And no gekko, fortunately, we do not use textear in Spain.

• Yo, hasta que vea esa palabra en un diccionario oficial, me rehúso rotundamente a usar esa palabra. - LuisaGomezBa Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • :) - 00494d19 Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Yo uso "enviar un mensajito" - por si a las moscas. - Gekkosan Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Pero no puedo dejar de reconocer que la gente a mi alrededor usa la palabreja. Y otras más espeluznantes, también. - Gekkosan Jul 28, 2010 flag
  • Por eso, dije "almost". ;) - skygoneblue Aug 9, 2010 flag

Me fijé en que la Academia Mexicana de la Lengua no admite el uso de esta anglicismo tampoco.

A mí, me parece mejor decir que «Como varias otras palabras nuevas y/o dudosas, el uso de "textear" no es admitido por las Academias de la lengua». Creo que, al fin y al cabo, sí, llegue a ser reconocido porque si bastante gente usase una palabra (por un rato largo) entonces lo más probable es que sí, (for better or worse) se admitiría aquella palabra.

La verdad es que si, hay muchos ejemplos de anglicismos que han sido incorporado a la lengua. Por ejemplo, el verbo "textear" ya no se admite, pero si buscas otras palabras parecidas (es decir verbos que claro, vienen del inglés) como "testear", "boxear" o "boicotear" encontarás anglicismos que sí han ganado reconocimiento por la RAE.

Por supuesto, no estoy recomendiendo que nadie debería usar esta "palabra" sino estoy diciendo que creo que hay mucha gente ya la usa.

The reason words are adopted into English so much more easily than Spanish is because English doesn't have anyone regulating the language, such as the Royal Spanish Academy or The Académie Française (for French).