We are now in the final weeks of preparing for my son's wedding. To say I am overwhelmed by all of the details is an understatement. When did weddings become so complicated and focused on the smallest minutia of detail? gulp rolleyes

I was married at 18 and had a reception in the backyard of my mother-in-law's Philadelphia row home. The menu was pot luck from all of the Italian relatives.

Although my wedding was simple, I have been to many other weddings and been involved in the music aspect of even more. To me, it seems that as time goes by, weddings are becoming more and more over-the-top. But that is just my opinion. wink

I am interested to know what kind of wedding you had or want to have. What was the most ridiculous wedding you have ever attended? Any interesting or funny wedding stories would be appreciated. Perhaps hearing of the experiences of others will help me to put my son's wedding into perspective.

Muchisimas gracias. smile alt text

Nicole said

When did weddings become so complicated and focused on the smallest minutia of detail?

The moment you started worrying about trying to please everybody. All you should be concerned about is the bride and bridegroom. After all, it´s their day, isn´t it.

• I agree Eddy!! I am not the mother of the bride, so I don't have as much say. I'm just going along with the program...hence the stress. - Nicole-B Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • I am encouraging my two daughters to elope. jejeje!! - Nicole-B Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Yes, Eddy well said!!! It is teh Bride and Groom's special day trying to please everyone is as crazy as taking the motehr in law on the honeymoon and expecting to have an exciting time lol ;-P %-P :-) - FELIZ77 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Correction: mother in law - FELIZ77 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Hi Nicole, my response may have appeared a slice abrupt but it wasn't maent to be, hehe. - Eddy Jul 18, 2010 flag

I wanted to elope but when I told my mom she threw a fit. I was a bridezilla the opposite way. They did everything, I just picked the dress...

• You sound a lot like me! :) - Nicole-B Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Luisa, well I hope you picked the Groom lol hahaha - FELIZ77 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Ha ha ha... I did. Wouldn't let anyone do that for me... - LuisaGomezBa Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • I think you were very unusual! (being the opposite way!) - margaretbl Jul 18, 2010 flag

My wedding, three years ago, was a simple Sunday Brunch with 40 guests. Everything was perfect...even the weather. It was truly one of the happiest days of my life.

When my brother got married a few years ago, one of the bridesmaid's bouquet caught on fire during the ceremony when she got a little too close to a candle. Our mother jumped out of her seat, grabbed the bouquet, threw it onto the floor, jumped up and down on it until it was extinguished, bent down to retrieve the still smoking bouquet, thrust it into the bridesmaid's hands, and then calmly returned to her seat. The ceremony then proceeded without further incident.

I hope that you don't have to perform the same service during your son's wedding!

• I hope not too!! Very funny!! - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

Congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding. I absolutely love attending weddings. I think it is because it is a new beginning and there is so much joy! Keeping a sense of humor about things really helps reduce the stress when planning a wedding. That's a great photo!

Guns, Wedding Gowns, Cold Beer! Everything you need for a shotgun wedding. Pictures, Images and Photos Keep Smiling!

• Thanks Bryn. Very funny sign! - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

This is one of the craziest things that we ever did. smile

There is a particular mahal(Wedding hall) in my city where the food will be so good always(They have their own chef). Its the most costliest mahal (4lakhs per day) and very royal too and i never got a chance to attend any wedding there. My friend and I prepared a gift box with some of our old clothes and we went to that Mahal in sarees. We dont know both the bride and the groom. Since the we were of the bride's age, the people thought that we are the bride's friends and they treated us well.(Our wedding will have around 500 guests) We gave the gift to the couple and had a very nice dinner smile . But we didn't enjoy much. :( We had the fear of getting caught all the time. But once we came out of that mahal we had a good laugh... We always have a good laugh whenever, we think about it.

.

Generally our weddings will have lots of rituals and lots of pujas. We will have three different functions before marriage. First is 'Pen paarpu', where the guy and the girl officially meet. Second is 'Opputhambalam', when the bride's family and the groom's family accepts the marriage. Then the bride's family go to the girl's house to have a feast and vice versa. Then 'Nichaiyardatham' (Engagement) where the rings will be exchanged and the marriage date will be fixed and announced. Then finally the marriage. And after marriage the couple should go to each and every relative home and should have a feast. One month after marriage, both of them will be in some gym trying to reduce weight, which mostly will never workout. wink

.

I want to get married in 'Ross Island' in Andaman Islands... My granny was born and grew up there. Once a seat of British power, it now stands as a ruin of bygone days. But still i'm in love with that island. I know my parents will never accept but still i have some hope. smile If i'm not getting married there, then i'll have my honeymoon there. Lets see what happens next year. wink

• Such an interesting story. And do you think that you will get married next year? Is that your idea? - margaretbl Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Yeah... My parents have started searching a guy for me.. So most probably, next year, i'll tie a knot. - Vaanz Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • What a great story! We have a move in the U.S. called "The Wedding Crashers". Your story reminds me of this. - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

By request, my daughter's pets who are now mine have requested their photographs be entered here. alt text

• Beautiful photo!!! - --Mariana-- Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Another beautiful family! Your daughter looks just like you! - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

Oh.. I forgot the main thing

Congratulations on your son's wedding!!!

En mi boda viente y seis años atras, estaba en la línea de recepción al lado de mi hermano mayor, cuando ví a la abuela de mi esposa acercandonos en la línea. Le dije a mi hermano, " aqui viene la abuela de Ellen, hagala una bienvenida especial!" Cuando me alcanzó a mi, la abrazé tan fuerte, que se le cayó la peluca al suelo! Que vergüenza! Me moví tan de prisa en recogerla que poca gente se habían dado cuenta de lo que sucediera! Todavía evito el sujeto en conversación familiar!

In my wedding some twenty six years ago, I was in the reception line next to my brother when I saw my bride's grandmother approaching. I said to my brother, " here comes Ellen's grandmother, let's make a big deal over her!" I embraced her so hard that her wig fell to the ground. I moved so fast to recover it that few people noticed. I still avoid the subject in family conversations!

• You must have a kind family. Our family would repeat that story mercilessly at every family gathering. jeje - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

Here is a great wedding story.

Half the men

were drunk out of their minds

But only half.

http://handcrafted-ethnic-jewelry.com/videos-of-guerrero/wedding-dance

• Very interesting story Martin. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of growing up with Mayflower processions, the May Queen, etc. in honor of Mary. - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

In my first wedding I was young and stupid and in love. The bride's family went all out - country club, band, champagne, tuxedos - had to be half high to get through it. The day after the wedding my bride became a different person. You would have to experience it to believe it - even today I can not believe the overnight change. That marriage lasted four years and looking back it would be a lot shorter (or non-existent) if I had it to do again.

My second wedding took place in the court house by the probate judge and nobody knew about it. Much better and still going well.

• I am sorry to hear about your first experience, but very glad that things are working out now. - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

Vaanz has described marriage in India here:

First is 'Pen paarpu', where the guy and the girl officially meet. Second is 'Opputhambalam', when the bride's family and the groom's family accepts the marriage.

Thank you so much for sharing this Vaanz. I love hearing about the cultures and customs of people from other countries. The idea of not knowing our spouses until we meet them is so foreign to us. I don't know the statistics on this, but since so many of our marriages don't work out, maybe it isn't such a bad idea for the parents to choose for us.

I'm sure this will never happen, but it is an interesting thought to me.

• These days many people prefer love marriage than arranged. If parents don't accept, they elope :) But here arranged marriage work much better than love marriage. :) - Vaanz Jul 22, 2010 flag

Wedding advice.

By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. - Socrates

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

cool grin

Congratulations, Nicole on your son's wedding. Last year we had two weddings within nine months, so I know it can be a stressful time. We didn't have to do very much at either wedding. The bride and her mother took over my son's wedding which turned out great and my daughter decided on a cruise which ended up having only the parents as guests. As for my wedding, my husband and I decided in December, 1977 to marry in February 1978. My cousin had already picked a January date, so we picked Feb.25. On Feb. 6-8, 1978, Rhode Island was hit with the "Great Blizzard of 1978". In some areas of northern Rhode Island over 50 inches of snow were reported by the Weather Underground. It took nearly three weeks to clean up the snow, but fortunately for us, it was in time. My parents were able to fly up from South Carolina where my Dad was stationed in the Navy at the time and even though the snow piles were as high as mountains, we got married on that beautiful winter day. Someday, when I learn how to scan in pictures, I will show you one. Now, just relax at the wedding and enjoy the day.

• I do plan on enjoying the day. My son is marrying a great girl from a great family. They are just a bit more into weddings than I am. - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Thanks for sharing your wedding story. I'm glad the snow cleared in time for you to enjoy your day. :) - Nicole-B Jul 18, 2010 flag

Here is another great wedding story.

Not only a big day for the bride.

It is exciting also for the Birdesmaid

The girl who catches the bouquet!

Wedding Story; The Dance of the Bridesmaid