"No tengo mas que darte pero mi corazon" | SpanishDict Answers

My friend just got a tattoo that says "No tengo mas que darte pero mi corazon" which supposedly translates to "I have nothing left to give you but my heart". I was just wondering if this was the grammatically correct way to say this. She says she thinks to be grammatically correct it should say "No tengo mas que darte que mi corazon". I typed both of them in to Google Translator, which says that the first way, when translated from Spanish to English, is correct. Thanks!

• Bienvenida al foro. Welcome to the forum. - 0074b507 Jul 17, 2010 flag

Hopefully, it is correct as written, but after a little research, I'm thinking it would be better as...

No tengo nada más para darte salvo mi corazón.

Or, perhaps...

No tengo nada más que darte salvo mi corazón.

But I could be wrong.

I don't know if pero (but) can even be used that way (in the sense of salvo and excepto)...but, if it can, I think it would be rare. I've never heard or seen it used that way. I've usually seen pero used to connect two separate sentences so they become one, but my exposure to Spanish has been fairly limited.

• perfect,w eb...would you like t be in my group tonight? I have a place to offer;) - 00494d19 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • You don't think "nada más" changes the meaning from "I don't have more to give to you" to "I don't have anything more to give you"? - jeezzle Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • corazón (let's not misspell a tattoo) - 0074b507 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Thanks, Q. - webdunce Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • I don't have the answer, jeezle. I recommend you start a thread about it. It's a good question. - webdunce Jul 17, 2010 flag

I have nothing helpful to add, except I have this wonderful image of you all crowding around this person with tattoo needles crossing things out and making corrections. Heidita is using red ink, of course wink

You don't think "nada más" changes the meaning from "I don't have more to give to you" to "I don't have anything more to give you"? - jeezzle .... I don't have the answer, jeezle. I recommend you start a thread about it. It's a good question. - webdunce

I think there's merit to this argument, because Jeezle's comment made me think that perhaps we haven't hit upon the most accurate translation yet.

The original says: "I have nothing left to give you but my heart"

Webdunce gave the best translation as: "No tengo nada más que darte salvo mi corazón."

I like the way that sounds, and it was my pick for best answer too. The thing that bother's me is not so much the "nada más"; which I think works ok, but the fact that maybe we're missing a detail by not addressing the "left" in the original. So to be absolutely accurate, we should be saying something along the lines of : "No me queda nada para darte sino mi corazón". A bit awkward, but that's just what the original English sentence says.

Meanwhile, I can't help but notice that Kris said that this friend already has the tattoo, so Richard's comment about the corrections brought a vivid image to my mind (and yes, I too can fully visualize Heidita using red ink):

• good point! - webdunce Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Gekko good comments ! I like your final translation too You and Webdunce have translated this sentance well :) - FELIZ77 Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • my sentence translates into something more like: I have nothing else to give you except my heart. - webdunce Jul 17, 2010 flag

No tengo más que darte, sólo mí corazon. That's what I would say. Of course I could be wrong.

• corazón mi; not mí (there are no erasers for tattoos) - 0074b507 Jul 17, 2010 flag

Someone will answer this. Look at the translators like a sketch or rough draft to be refined at a later date

That's a fine translation.

Yup, it's moot at this moment in time. All water under the bridge... Todo eso ya ha pasado a la historia....

Pero cannot be used here!

If anything I would say-

No tengo más para darte sino mi corazón.

or

No tengo más sino mi corazón para darte.

The one that Gekkosan said sounded odd - "no me queda nada..." sounds good. I would just make a small change-

No me queda más para darte sino mi corazón.

or

No me queda más sino mi corazón para darte.

• I agree that my option is less fluid. It is a matter of nuances. Your option, as Webdunce's, sounds good - but it meaan "I have nothing *else*", as opposed to "I have nothing *left*", which is the nit I'm picking here... - Gekkosan Jul 17, 2010 flag
  • Oh, I was saying that I perfer your translation using "no me queda..." - NikkiRivera Jul 17, 2010 flag

If I'm not mistaken this comes from a very old engraving found on a lovers ring that was on a Spanish galleon. The ship sank in 1588 off the coast of Ireland. See this site for more info regarding this: http://thedragonbox.blogspot.com/2008/08/no-tengo-mas-que-dar-te_22.html

• Wow! I've seen this ring, in Belfast, where I was born and raised. It's beautiful! But it says only "No tengo más que darte". I think I fell in love with Spanish from the time I saw that ring! - Sheily Aug 20, 2010 flag