Pensamientos - Thoughts (63):.... de las palabras más tristes surgen a menudo las historias más hermosas, ... | SpanishDict Answers

The sentences I am going to post are by my one and only José Luis Alvitekiss, as sarcastic and ironic as usualwink Instead of posting this as a killer thread, I thought I might post one sentence every other day or so.

I would like you to post the translation and your opinion about the sentence. I will correct the translation, and if you post an opinion in Spanish correct major grammar mistakes. You can post in English, but let's get a lot of opinions on these controversial sentences. wink

Please read this message from Alvite himself to all students.

And remember:

Alvite is sarcastic, always pessimistic, nothing is what it looks likeraspberry

Here goes number 63.

Let's see what you make of this. There are two typos, even great writers make typos...very comfortingraspberry See if you can find themwink

Don't miss this thread!I am posting the chosen answers on Facebook, on Alvite's wall!

Quiero insistir en la idea de que, si se sabe hiilarlas, de las palabras más tristres surgen a menudo las historias más hermosas, igual que de un puñado de sudarios puede coserse un maravilloso vestido de novia.

• hilarlas? - nizhoni1 Jul 15, 2010 flag
  • Gosh... Not sure about that idea regarding the sudarios. Creepy! :-o - Gekkosan Jul 15, 2010 flag
  • yes it is a bit creepy - nizhoni1 Jul 15, 2010 flag
  • Ya puedo ver dos ii's. The I´s have it! tristres, does that mean three times as sad? - MattM Jul 15, 2010 flag

Quiero insistir en la idea de que, si se sabe hilarlas, de las palabras más tristes surgen a menudo las historias más hermosas, igual que de un puñado de sudarios puede coserse un maravilloso vestido de novia.

I want to emphasize the idea that, if you know how to spin them, from the saddest words often arise the most beautiful stories, like from a handful of shrouds one can sew a marvelous wedding dress.

Esto tiene que ser uno de mis pensamientos favoritos . Eso es, si mi traducción es correcta. La habilidad de de un escritor con talento con las palabras es como convertir el agua en vino. ¿Verdad?

This has to be one of my favorites (thoughts). That is, if my translation is correct. A gifted writers ability with words is like turning water into wine. No?

• I will wholeheartedly agree with you here Matt, my translation might have something to be desired but I get the meaning. Beautiful!! :) - Jason7R Jul 15, 2010 flag
  • very nice, matt, great job - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • ok, this is it for me Matt, muy bonito :) - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Thank you. Hope to speak soon. I'm still a little shy. - MattM Jul 19, 2010 flag

I would like to insist in the idea that if one knows how to spin words, out of the saddest words often the most beautiful stories come out, like out of handful of shrouds a beautiful wedding dress may be sewn.

Mi comentario:

Cuando estaba leyendo ésto, me acordé de esta frase de León Tolstoi: "Todas las familias felices se parecen ---; cada familia infeliz lo es a su manera". Se encuentra junto con muchas otras palabras tristes en su obra maestra "Ana Karenina"... Creo que la tristeza siempre ha sido mejor inspiración para escribir historias que la felicidad. La última se puede describir en pocas palabras.

When I was reading this, I remembered a phrase written by Leo Tolstoy: "All the happy families are alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way". It's located along with many other sad words in his masterpiece "Anna Karenina"... I think that sadness has always been a better inspiration for stories than happiness. The latter can be described in a few words.

• I think the typos are "hilarlas" and "tristes"... - luz_72 Jul 15, 2010 flag
  • brty nice luz, typos yes, jej - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag

I insist on the idea that, if you know how to spin them, more tears arise from the words of the most beautiful stories, like a handful of shrouds can be sewn into a beautiful wedding dress.

I don't know how badly I mauled the translation, but I'm pretty sure that "hiilarlas" and "tristres" are the two typos.

correctwink

• It certainly makes more sense now that I see the others' translations. - 008f2974 Jul 16, 2010 flag
  • sorry dogbert, well done on the typos, jeje, but the translation is not correct. - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag

I want to stress the idea that, if you know how to spin them, the most dismal words can often give rise to the most beautiful tales in the same way that you can fashion a marvelous bridal gown from a handful of shrouds.

Wow! He is the word master isn't he.

Dice la verdad, un escritor con talento (como el mismo) hace una alfombra fabulosa de las palabras y la echa delante de nuestros ojos.

He makes beautiful words pictures and gifts them to us to appreciate!

• very nice, margaret, best translation so far, great, and great comment - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag

I wish to insist on the idea that the most beautiful stories arise from the saddest words,if you know how to think them up, just as a beautiful wedding dress may be sewn from a handful of shrouds.

(An equally unpleasant image;- Sudario can also be translated as "a cloth for wiping off sweat" which was how I translated it initially.) However I agree with the ideas expressed in the passage;some of my favourite books are also the saddest ("Les Miserables" , "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" and "Of Mice And Men".)

• hmmm, I find the idea to wear a dress made of a cloth used to wrap a dead body in much more unpleasant... - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Yes Heidita, you are right! I should not have used "equally" . - pintor Jul 19, 2010 flag

Translation:
I want to emphasize the idea that the saddest words often appear more beautiful in stories, if you know how to spin them, like a handful of shrouds can be sewn into a wonderful wedding dress.

Thoughts:
Going through trials and tribulations can often lead you to great things. To persevere through the hardships can make you stronger. Like the pieces of fabric that are sewn into a wedding dress, you are made stronger as the pieces come back together.

Pensamientos:
El paso por pruebas y penas a menudo puede conducir a grandes cosas. perserverar ante las dificultades puede hacerte más fuerte. Al igual que los pedazos de tela que se cosen en un vestido de novia, que se hacen más fuertes cuando las piezas vuelven a juntarse.

I want to dwell on the idea that if one knows how to spin them, from the saddest words most often arise the most beautiful stories, the same as handful of shrouds can be sewn to a marvelous wedding dress.

In the hands of an artist, I have seen old clothes and rejected materials sewn into beautiful dresses. And, in the same way, it is certain that the stories of even tragic and desperate situations when spun by the hands of the artist like Alvites can arise to succeed like the beautiful dress and be read by the people to show that there is still hope and victory in some of these situations.

En las manos de una artista, he visto las ropas viejas y los materiales desechados cosidos en bellos vestidos. Y del mismo modo, es cierto que las historias trágicas e incluso situaciones desesperadas cuando las hila un artista como Alvites pueden triunfar como el hermoso vestido y ser leídas por la gente mostrando que hay esperanza e incluso victoria en algunas de estas situaciones.

• very nice andy, you did very well yesterday by the way, good job, nice chat, well prepared;) - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Gracias, Heidita, it was a great chat. - sanlee Jul 18, 2010 flag

I have to add that my daughter is an art school graduate and I have seen many unusual dress compositions including one made from a shroud. But, Alvites makes a beautiful metaphorical description, and for me, a scientist who has read nothing but scientific papers for over 30 years, it has really opened my heart. To imagine a person in the depths of their sadness using their words to weave a beautiful story like the shrouds sewing themselves together and making a beautiful wedding dress--well, it is just great writing. I thought when I started this thread that I was going to be studying a Spanish writer, not one who wrote about life. Thanks Heidi for asking me back.

• Well said my dear. - MattM Jul 16, 2010 flag
  • very beautiful, sanlee, I am going to send this to him... - 00494d19 Jul 16, 2010 flag
  • Gracias, I am truly honored. - sanlee Jul 16, 2010 flag

I want to stress that, if one knows how to string them together, the most beautiful stories can often be woven from the saddest words, in the same way as a wonderful wedding dress can be sewn from a few shrouds.

Makes me think of Thomas Hardy.

Me hace pensar en Thomas Hardy.

• ¿Por qué? - 00494d19 Jul 18, 2010 flag
  • Porque es un autor que sabe muy bien hilar las historias hermosas de la tragedia. :) - galsally Jul 19, 2010 flag