"Hola a todos" or "Hola todos"? | SpanishDict Answers

I've seen a lot of people saying "Hola todos" and "Hola a todos", I'm just curious to know if the personal "a" should be used, or if it's optional or if it's incorrect to use it here.

Thanks in advance smile.

If Spanish grammar is anything like English grammar it should be "Hola, todos" when addressing a group directly. It is the same as saying, "Hello, Bill". We omit the comma in instances where the name is in apposition (my friend Bill) but include it when directly addressing the person. My question has always been whether a comma or a (dos puntos, colon) is used "Hola: Bill" in Spanish?

Karen, are you going to the store? (Direct address)

Karen is going to the store. (indirect address)

I think Hola a todos is of used like [Give] My regrards to everyonge (indirect address). * [Give] My greetings to everyone*. (indirect address)

• Sometimes I mistakenly omit the comma, but I agree that it's supposed to be there. I usually say "Hi, everyone!" - --Mariana-- Jul 12, 2010 flag

As a Spanish linguist, the reason behind this still confuses me a little.

I'm 99% sure that "Hola todos" is considered incorrect and it's "Hola a todos" and "Hola, Bill." (Also, "Bienvenidos a todos" and "Bienvenido, Bill").

It seems inconsistent, but that is only when comparing it to English grammar. To a Spanish speaker it kind of just makes sense.

Luckily when speaking, Spanish fuses together sounds so "Hola todos" (incorrect) and "Hola a todos" (correct) sound identical.

I wondered about that too, Jen!!!

My thoughts: when you are talking about someone you need the personal "a," but when you are talking directly to them you don't need it.

Let's wait for the grammar experts!

• That makes perfect sense Marianne! :) - Jason7R Jul 12, 2010 flag

I'm not sure about the personal "a" and I can't say I've ever used it when using this expression so I will say it should be "Hola todos". I am sure the gurus will weigh in soon!! wink

• The "guru" line is my favorite Jason. It always makes me laugh. :) - Nicole-B Jul 12, 2010 flag
  • Anything I can do to put a smile on your face!! Just wait until you hear me speak Spanish, you'll be rolling on the floor dying from laughter!! :) - Jason7R Jul 12, 2010 flag