señora and señorita | SpanishDict Answers

what is the difference in usage of señora and señorita?

As sylyon said:

Señora is used for a lady that is married. Señorita is used for referring to women that are not married.

Also, Señora is used for an "older" woman and Señorita is used for a "young" woman.

I'm 66 and not married. Unfortunately, I haven't been called a señorita for many years!

• It is not "good manners" to call even an old lady "señora". You always start as "señorita", and then if they correct you then you say " señora "... - sylyon1976 Jul 7, 2010 flag
  • Hmmm! I wish that you could tell that to all the people in Latin America that have called me "señora" in the past ??? years! - Pajaro44 Jul 8, 2010 flag
  • Forgive their bad manners... :) Señorita pajaro44 - sylyon1976 Jul 8, 2010 flag
  • Is that current status? What if you are divorced/widowed? soltera, but ¿señorita? - 0074b507 Jul 8, 2010 flag
  • At least in Mexico, you are señorita as long as you have not had any "relationship" with a man. If you are divorced or widow you are "señora", becuase you were with a man. - sylyon1976 Jul 8, 2010 flag

sad to say but age makes the difference

When speaking to older women, one should always use señorita. As a 19-year-old boy, I find this is not only polite, but flattering as well. Since younger women are usually referred to as señorita as well, it's best to just remove señora from your vocabulary (assuming she doesn't correct you).

Well, do wedding rings provide a function regarding this issue in Latin American countries? If you can clearly see a wedding ring on a young or an older woman's finger, shouldn't you call her "señora"? I am also wondering if women's rights movements in Latin American countries would affect this issue? Personally, to show that I fully support women's rights, when I am in the United States, I will call any woman of any age "Mizz" until she corrects me. Finally, whether or not a woman is still a virgin should not impact my decision regarding what to call her. It is nobody's business. To me, that is a totally sexist notion. It shouldn't figure into this issue at all. And the idea that a woman could be slighted by calling her señora is something from the dark ages.

Esteban said:

when I am in the United States, I will call any woman of any age "Mizz" until she corrects me.

I do the same here in Guatemala. I call every woman and girl "señorita" until told otherwise. The more "mature" women giggle and seem flattered. Moreover, everyone calls me "Seño" (short for "señorita") and I'm 48.

• Mariana, or anyone, is there a trend starting in any of the Spanish-speaking countries similar to what we have here in the United States ... calling women "Mizz"? And if so, what word has been chosen? - Esteban3304 Mar 9, 2013 flag