please I've read a letter and i've found

what does it mean ?( i hope that's good word not bad ) rolleyes rolleyes

• Please remember to use proper capitalization and punctuation in your posts. Thanks! - --Mariana-- Jul 5, 2010 flag

Gordito means "little fat one" and it's a term of endearment for Spanish speakers.

• even i didn't understand well i'mnot english but we can say it for beloved ? because she did this - safiasousou Jul 5, 2010 flag
  • Yes, in Spanish you can use it for someone you love. - --Mariana-- Jul 5, 2010 flag
  • It does not mean "beloved". It can be used as a term of endearment when somebody refers fondly to someone who is a little (or even a lot) overweight. In Spanish it is not necessarily rude to refer to another person's physical attributes.... - Gekkosan Jul 5, 2010 flag
  • ..., such as weight, race and skin color. You need to know how and when to do it, though. - Gekkosan Jul 5, 2010 flag
  • thank you i've understand - safiasousou Jul 6, 2010 flag

My Venezuelan daughter-in-law used gordito/a all the time for both her husband and their baby, neither of whom are even slightly chubby. For them it is entirely a term of endearment.

enter image description here

As with any less-than-flattering words, it depends on whom you use it and how you use it. I can call my friend an a** hole and he'll laugh and we'll have a great time. If I say it to a guy next to me at a bar, I'd probably wind up in a hospital or in jail.

My two pesos.

No its actually insulting. I've been called it many times

• No it is not - not in South America anyway - ian-hill Jul 21, 2015 flag
  • @dod78 There's nothing in your profile about how knowledgeable you are about the Spanish language. So your answer does nothing for me in terms of understanding Spanish. Please fill out your profile. - - Sassette Jul 21, 2015 flag

Be careful not to offend anyone when using it. In some places, gordito(a) is a term of endearment, but someone could take offense. When using it in general means "chunky or thick." It's not quite calling someone all-out fat(gordo/a), but a person sensitive about their weight will take issue.

In most circles, "gordita" is used in the same context as voluptuous, curvaceous, etc. Gordito would mean heavy set or husky.

• Thanks for insight - Sassette Jul 22, 2015 flag
  • It's a good point. As a child other kids started calling me "shorty" at a summer camp. They didn't do that to be mean, but I took offense because I was sensitive about my height. I was a late grower. No one asked me if it was o.k. to call me that. - Sassette Jul 22, 2015 flag

Gordito/a is very often used as a term of endearment, regardless of the persons weight. However, in the right (wrong?) context it can also be an insult.

As an insult:

• ¡Mira la gordita que eres! Ponte a dieta.

As a term of endearment:

• Hola gordita, ¿sabes que te amo?

Gordoto/a is the opposite, meaning really fat, and always an insult unless you're joking among friends.

You can also use gordibueno or gordibuena to mean the same thing, a person who is a little overweight but still attractive.