When to use "subject pronoun" in Spanish: yo, tú, él, ella....? | SpanishDict Answers

As a general rule: Do not use subject pronouns!

Even though you think it might be necessary, don't use them just in casewink

Are subject pronouns optional or should we not use them? We already had this discussion here, and the opinion of the Spanish native Lazarus was this:

You shouldn't use subject pronouns, because Spanish is not English, and those pronouns are kept on hold for a very good reason. If you use them, you not only sound horrible most of the time, but you deprive Spanish from expressing distinctions and nuances that are normally expressed with those pronouns.

So what distinctions is he talking about? Please don't miss the thread I have mentioned, he gives some examples too, but I would like to point this out to you:

Look at these examples.

It is nor necessary to include the pronoun in sentence in Spanish, with the exception of the following examples:

I. To emphasize the subject

Mi vecino sacó la basura, pero yo me olvidé de hacerlo.

My neighbour took out the garbage but I forgot to do it!

Yo soy Pepa, ella es María.

I am Pepa, this is María.

¿Sabes quién ha llamado? Yo no lo sé, a lo mejor lo sabe él!

Do you know who rang? I don't know, maybe he knows!

II. In sentences like:

Soy yo, abre la puerta.

It's me, open the door.

**As you can see the pronoun is not used to distinguish between different subjects in the third person **

Exercises

http://gramaticacognitivaele.es/material didactico/pronombres/P 13-B/P 13-B.swf

For swf (Small Web Format) files you need a player. You must copy the URL manually into your browser's navigation bar. (This video is interactive, it does not play automatically like our lesson videos).

It took me some time to find them, but this is a real treat! You will find the examples so clear and much fun to do