You busco para unos libros escrito en español que son fácil a leer pero que hay varios palabras que son difícil. Yo fue varios veces a la librería y he comprando unos libros, pero para todos libros es necesario que yo busco mucho palabras en el diccionario. Esta mucho de trabajo.

If you do not know if such a book exists then you must use the subjunctive mood in the subordinate clause.

Busco un libro escrito en español que sea fácil de leer.

If you are referring to that (a known) book written in Spanish that is easy to read then you use the indicative mood.

Bottom line: You are looking for a book written in Spanish at the beginning/intermediate comprehension level.

buscar=to look for/to search for. You do not need para after it.

• fácil de leer :) - 003487d6 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Thank you. - 0074b507 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • AAAhhhh! That's for the corrections. Much appreciated. Haven't learnt subjunctives yet. And yes, beginning/intermediate sounds good. Any suggestions? - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Btw, I meant to say: thanks for the corrections. Whoops! - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag

Since you haven't learned the subjunctive and your vocabulary is limited, then I think it is best for you to start with books that you have already read in English before.

Have you read Harry Potter before? Try to read them in Spanish. That way you can figure the vocabulary out on your own if you remember what happens.

• Dandi great idea I agree with you on principle here - FELIZ77 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Good idea. Although most of the books I have read in English are way too long for me to venture in spanish with. - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • what books would those be salsero? Just interested. i find a similar problem. Somehow i dont see myself learning anything by reading Ulysees in Castillian. - El_Hitch Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Stephen King is one, Meg Gardener is another. Tehy take me forever to read in english let alone Spanish. - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Why don't you try to focus on a small section like an extract from one of your favourite books just to get you started off ? - FELIZ77 Jun 24, 2010 flag

I recommend purchasing Stories from Latin America/Historias de Latinoamérica by Genevieve Barlow. This is one of a series of side-by-side bilingual books by this author. Go to Amazon.com and you'll also find Stories from Mexico and Stories from Spain. They are written with the English version on one page and the Spanish version on the next which is very helpful and cuts down on the need to use a dictionary.

Do be forewarned that translations are tricky because often things don't translate word for word which can be a confusing thing for beginners but bilingual books are great for seeing how things are expressed differently in English and Spanish. Just remember that sometimes there is more than one way to translate the same thing and don't get frustrated.

You can also try getting two copies of the same book in English and Spanish and reading them at the same time. I'd recommend The Alchemist (El Alquimista) by Paulo Coelho or The Four Agreements (Los Cuatro Acuerdos) by Don Miguel Ruiz.

I agree with Dandi, that will help you for sure and another choice is to get childrens' books from the library. You can find the Spanish section and just try out some easy 'chapter' books which should be plenty for you to handle at first. Sticking with the same author is another trick, when I was studying I read about 20 Agatha Christies even though they did not interest me in the slightest. It did help!

• That's dedication!! Bien hecho. - 003487d6 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Yes, chapter books would be good. Something I can read in one session, look up the words I don't understand then reread the chapter again. - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • And if you, like mentioned, get one you already know it will be even more helpful. ¡Buena suerte! - margaretbl Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • You did very well to persevre with an author you didn't like Margaret most people couldnt cope with that you obviously love the Spanish language - FELIZ77 Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • The weird thing is I built up a tolerance or something and in the end I thought, well, they're not bad! - margaretbl Jun 24, 2010 flag

Try series books written just for younger ages: "tween" years or younger. I read the Junio B. Jones series in Spanish, Escalofrios (Goosebumps), Scooby Doo Mystery series, Magic Schoolbus, etc. because they are written for younger people with a more limited vocabulary. (all available in Spanish)

• OK you made my day!..picturing you reading Magic Schoolbus. Gracias. - 003487d6 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Okay, as long as they don't have pages dominated by picturesd then fine. And no big text, I'm not 5 after all. :-P - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Hey, I love those books and I qualify for a senior discount. - 0074b507 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • jejeje aun mejor. - 003487d6 Jun 23, 2010 flag

Busco unos libros (escritos) en español que sean fáciles (a leer) pero que tengan/contengan varias palabras (que son) difíciles. Fui varias veces a la librería y he comprado unos libros, pero para esos libros es necesario que busque muchas palabras en el diccionario. Cuesta mucho trabajo.

• Very well done, but now we're probably uspsetting him by not answering the question. This was not posted in the grammar or proofreading section. - 0074b507 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Lol!!! Good one. Yes, suggestion please. But corrections are good, too. - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag

As someone who spent 7 years doing German homeworks on free translation sites, my advice would be not to use free translation sites for translating into spanish ok wink

• Eh I wrote that all by myself. No translator. I do use it once in a while for words I don't know. - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • i was joking, i cant myself understand spanish that well but the other posters said yo made mistakes so i made the joke. If you did translate that all by yourself then you have learnt a lot since writing on your own is by Far the best method to learn. - El_Hitch Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Hi Hitchens, do not use 'yo' around here even joking you will get sent right to the Dunce Corner! - margaretbl Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • i am surprised that you can not see that the yo is a "you" with the u missing due to a mistype. Besides why would someone reffer to the second person as yo??? - El_Hitch Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • This whole comment is an exercise in miscommunication. lol!! - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag

Tell me what your interests are and i wil tell you what Spanish/ latin american tabloid you will enjoy reading the most.

• I already a few good ones. My favorite so far is: http://www.tabascohoy.com.mx/ - salsero69 Jun 23, 2010 flag

Estoy una principiante. Ahora estoy leyendo libros para niños. Los encuentro que son bilingue, y primero leo el español y entonces leo el ingles. Con la ilustraciónes, puedo comprender la mayor parte del texto. ¡Me gusta! ¡Va a su biblioteca, tienen mucho!

I'm a beginner. Right now I'm reading children's books. I find ones that are bilingual and first I read the Spanish and then the English. With the illustrations, I can understand most of the Spanish text. I enjoy it! (plus, it gives me an excuse to feel like a kid again and find those stories that I missed when I was young!) Go to your library, they have a lot!

• and don't discount picture books as having too simple of vocabularies, I'm picking up some past-tense and learning some new vocab every time I read! I like some that are retellings of legends/folktales from central America. - schemmn Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • You ruined your post by writing it in English. I had understood every single word you had said. - salsero69 Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • Btw, what are those books you read? Maybe someone else can use the suggestion as well. - salsero69 Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • :-) I write the English more for my benefit, afterwards to see if I'm actually saying everything I wanted! Titles: Children's Book Press has a bunch http://www.childrensbookpress.org/our-books/latino - schemmn Jun 24, 2010 flag

I found the book Spanish Verbs by Richmond very helpful. Well rated on Amazon. It starts at the beginning which is a little boring if you're not a beginner. But I'm not a beginner either and found it gave a good foundation and made things easy to put together. Pretorites went especially well and they're the most difficult. Buen suerte and que le vaya bien ptl.

Eh, Scholastics is a good source. I just looked up Escalofrios that GFreed mentioned and its sold bu Scholastics. I remember them from school.

http://store.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_null_38568_-1_10052_10051

• There you go, excellent, my kids used to make me read them in English and it will keepyour interest for sure! - margaretbl Jun 23, 2010 flag

When I read I'm pretty good at immersing myself into the writing and formulating my own ideas as to what is said. I'm pretty much past the point of translating word for word. I have bought a number of books, but stopping to reach for the dictionary for at least one or two words per paragraph if not sentence is very dissatisfying.

When I read news sites very often I'm able to figure out the meaning of a word by context or because it is similar to an English or French word. Sometimes I need to reach for a dictionary. But the problem with news sites is that they lack repetitiveness.

Which is why I'm looking for some kind of novella or short stories where the more words I figure out as I go, the less I need to refer back to the dictionary.

Yeah, so a few months ago I had bought a kiddie book called, "Gaturro y la mansión del terror". At the time I didn't understand much, but just now started reading it again and a lot more words made sense. I was impressed. Also, I recognized a lot more tenses, didn't know what they were, but knew they were verb tenses.

So I'm gonna try reading this book and see how it goes.

Also I found an online book store in Argentina: http://www.tematika.com

Thanks all for the answers.