What do you think is the most beautiful personal name in your language?

I just love Mónica in Spanish, of course.

In English the name "Linda".

I am thinking of a student I had many years ago named Linda. She was in high school, terribly unattractive, socially isolated, and keenly sensitive. She was also a brilliant writer.

One day her English teacher showed me an essay that Linda had written. The gist of the essay was that her parents had named her "Linda" because it means "beautiful" in Spanish. She went on to write that in spite of her obvious exterior homeliness, her parents recognized her inner beauty and for that reason specifically chose the name "Linda".

I was deeply saddened to learn that Linda took her life two years ago, at the age of 40. She was apparently still living on the family farm. Her obituary spoke of her love of animals and books, and of her inner beauty.

Ever since Linda's essay touched my life I have been a fan of the name "Linda".

I share this with all of you in the hope that you will look at any "Linda" who may cross your paths and see her inner beauty in spite of exterior homeliness.

• That's tragic, MG. I wish someone could have reached her. - patch Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Yes, I agree that is terribly sad - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Wow, that was very moving! - Lucho Jun 27, 2010 flag
  • Thank you for the story...and the life lesson. It is so important to see the "ser" above the "estar". - Echoline Jul 26, 2010 flag
  • Thank you for sharing that :) Especially in situations like that I find the Bible's promise at John 5:28 to be very comforting "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out. - Kiwi-Girl Jul 26, 2010 flag

I like the name Alexandra (Aleksandra). smile

• Yes...Alexandra is a beautiful name - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • I happen to like that one too. (It's my name!) :) - Anadrien Jul 26, 2010 flag

I like the name 'Vennila' which means Moon

I like 'Karthik'(Tamil - Another name of the god 'Murugar') and 'Rahul'(Hindi - means 'conqueror of all miseries'). These names are generally used for the romantic guys in the movies(like 'VTV', 'Alaipayudhe', K3G, K2H2 etc)

• The language is 'Tamil' - Vaanz Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Beautiful name. - peregrinamar Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • Ah moon of my desire, who knowest no wane, how oft hereafter shall she look, through this same garden , after me in vane. - ray76 Jun 24, 2010 flag

Pretty partial to:

Valerie

• You must come to our weekly chat and meet her;) - 00494d19 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • I agree with Heidita :D - Debiera Jul 26, 2010 flag

A perfect Serbian name - Lena

In Spanish I like "Lorenzo" and in English I like "Steven."

• Sorry, but Steven sounds gayish to me. :( - Gocika Jun 22, 2010 flag

I loooooooooooooooove the name ''enrique'' it's a very good name for a boy beside gorgand justin

.for girls i love juliaandjuliet

• I like Juliet sounds romantic name lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Sounds like a romantic name I mean lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • And do prey tell me my lovely , what is yours??? - ray76 Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • And do they ''prey'' what do you mean ray i don't understand you !!? - 00b6f46c Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • ...do pray tell me... just means a very nice way to say "i'd like to know". - amykay Jun 24, 2010 flag

I was about to say "Julia" because she is the first female Prime minister of Australia,

but then I remembered Julia McCarthy my great grandmother who left Ireland with 6 children and then lost her husband to small pox , in spite of this she brought them up in a strange "heathen land" all were successful (until me) . So my vote goes to "Julia"

Julia

• My vote goes to you ray - Vaanz Jun 24, 2010 flag

There are so many It is hard to choose just one I like these:

girls names

Jessica Rachel Sarah Hannah Rebecca

Boys names: : Michael
James
Daniel
Jack
Samuel

En mi país los nombres más bonitos son los más sencillos:

María y Rosa smile

• ¡Gracia, Heidita! - peregrinamar Jun 24, 2010 flag
  • Tengo dos amigas que son hermanas que se llaman Rosemaria y Maryrose. :) - Debiera Jul 26, 2010 flag

恵 (read: Megumi), which means "Grace" in Japanese.

In my native language, I think the best names are Hảo (good) and Lan (orchid) (they also can be written and read in Chinese as follows Hǎo link 1, Lán link 2

In Spanish, I think Isabela is one of most graceful names.

In English, I'd like the name Cheyenne (derive from a native American tribe). Another may be Theresa.

All are female given names.

• Fidalgo - are you Chinese?! Ni hao! - kirstenalexa Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • you correctly pointed out that CHeyenne is derived from an american tribe. For that you get a vote - El_Hitch Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Thanks for the comment, Hitchens. I also thank Joe so much becuase he voted this answer yesterday - Fidalguinho- Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Cheyenne is also the given name of the most impressive singer with me - Fidalguinho- Jun 23, 2010 flag
  • Ni hao, kirsten. But I'm not from China - Fidalguinho- Jun 23, 2010 flag

I can believe that a 'guy' asked this question; I can't believe that many 'guys' answered it!

Women can name any name they want, but a guy that doesn't respond with his mother's, his wife's or his daughters' names is cruising for a bruising!

• PB? sorry Margaret, I couldn't find it. Simply looking for trouble: often 'cruzin' for a bruizin' - LateToDinner Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Well, I don't have a wife or a daughter yet lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010 flag
  • Sorry LateToDinner but I just don't like the name Kathryn. ;-) - Gregory84 Jul 26, 2010 flag

Stephanie Hannah - my beautiful daughter's name.

A mí me gusta, "Penelope!"

I like, "Penelope!"