13

What do you think is the most beautiful personal name in your language?

I just love Mónica in Spanish, of course.

10

In English the name "Linda".

I am thinking of a student I had many years ago named Linda. She was in high school, terribly unattractive, socially isolated, and keenly sensitive. She was also a brilliant writer.

One day her English teacher showed me an essay that Linda had written. The gist of the essay was that her parents had named her "Linda" because it means "beautiful" in Spanish. She went on to write that in spite of her obvious exterior homeliness, her parents recognized her inner beauty and for that reason specifically chose the name "Linda".

I was deeply saddened to learn that Linda took her life two years ago, at the age of 40. She was apparently still living on the family farm. Her obituary spoke of her love of animals and books, and of her inner beauty.

Ever since Linda's essay touched my life I have been a fan of the name "Linda".

I share this with all of you in the hope that you will look at any "Linda" who may cross your paths and see her inner beauty in spite of exterior homeliness.

• Jun 22, 2010
  • That's tragic, MG. I wish someone could have reached her. - patch Jun 22, 2010
  • Yes, I agree that is terribly sad - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010
  • Wow, that was very moving! - Lucho Jun 27, 2010
  • Thank you for the story...and the life lesson. It is so important to see the "ser" above the "estar". - Echoline Jul 26, 2010
  • Thank you for sharing that :) Especially in situations like that I find the Bible's promise at John 5:28 to be very comforting "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out. - Kiwi-Girl Jul 26, 2010
5

I like the name Alexandra (Aleksandra). smile

• Jun 22, 2010
  • Yes...Alexandra is a beautiful name - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010
  • I happen to like that one too. (It's my name!) :) - Anadrien Jul 26, 2010
3

I like the name 'Vennila' which means Moon

I like 'Karthik'(Tamil - Another name of the god 'Murugar') and 'Rahul'(Hindi - means 'conqueror of all miseries'). These names are generally used for the romantic guys in the movies(like 'VTV', 'Alaipayudhe', K3G, K2H2 etc)

• Jun 21, 2010
  • | Edited by Vaanz Jun 24, 2010
  • The language is 'Tamil' - Vaanz Jun 22, 2010
  • Beautiful name. - peregrinamar Jun 24, 2010
  • Ah moon of my desire, who knowest no wane, how oft hereafter shall she look, through this same garden , after me in vane. - ray76 Jun 24, 2010
3

Pretty partial to:

Valerie

• Jun 22, 2010
  • You must come to our weekly chat and meet her;) - 00494d19 Jun 22, 2010
  • I agree with Heidita :D - Debiera Jul 26, 2010
3

A perfect Serbian name - Lena

• Jun 22, 2010
3

In Spanish I like "Lorenzo" and in English I like "Steven."

• Jun 22, 2010
  • Sorry, but Steven sounds gayish to me. :( - Gocika Jun 22, 2010
3

I loooooooooooooooove the name ''enrique'' it's a very good name for a boy beside gorgand justin

.for girls i love juliaandjuliet

• Jun 22, 2010
  • I like Juliet sounds romantic name lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010
  • Sounds like a romantic name I mean lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010
  • And do prey tell me my lovely , what is yours??? - ray76 Jun 24, 2010
  • And do they ''prey'' what do you mean ray i don't understand you !!? - 00b6f46c Jun 24, 2010
  • ...do pray tell me... just means a very nice way to say "i'd like to know". - amykay Jun 24, 2010
3

I was about to say "Julia" because she is the first female Prime minister of Australia,

but then I remembered Julia McCarthy my great grandmother who left Ireland with 6 children and then lost her husband to small pox , in spite of this she brought them up in a strange "heathen land" all were successful (until me) . So my vote goes to "Julia"

Julia

• Jun 24, 2010
  • | Edited by ray76 Jun 24, 2010
  • My vote goes to you ray - Vaanz Jun 24, 2010
2

There are so many It is hard to choose just one I like these:

girls names

Jessica Rachel Sarah Hannah Rebecca

Boys names: : Michael
James
Daniel
Jack
Samuel

2

En mi país los nombres más bonitos son los más sencillos:

María y Rosa smile

• Jun 22, 2010
  • ¡Gracia, Heidita! - peregrinamar Jun 24, 2010
  • Tengo dos amigas que son hermanas que se llaman Rosemaria y Maryrose. :) - Debiera Jul 26, 2010
2

恵 (read: Megumi), which means "Grace" in Japanese.

• Jun 22, 2010
  • So would you call her Grace or Megumi? - Austin67427 Jul 26, 2010
2

In my native language, I think the best names are Hảo (good) and Lan (orchid) (they also can be written and read in Chinese as follows Hǎo link 1, Lán link 2

In Spanish, I think Isabela is one of most graceful names.

In English, I'd like the name Cheyenne (derive from a native American tribe). Another may be Theresa.

All are female given names.

• Jun 22, 2010
  • Fidalgo - are you Chinese?! Ni hao! - kirstenalexa Jun 22, 2010
  • you correctly pointed out that CHeyenne is derived from an american tribe. For that you get a vote - El_Hitch Jun 23, 2010
  • Thanks for the comment, Hitchens. I also thank Joe so much becuase he voted this answer yesterday - Fidalgo Jun 23, 2010
  • Cheyenne is also the given name of the most impressive singer with me - Fidalgo Jun 23, 2010
  • Ni hao, kirsten. But I'm not from China - Fidalgo Jun 23, 2010
2

I can believe that a 'guy' asked this question; I can't believe that many 'guys' answered it!

Women can name any name they want, but a guy that doesn't respond with his mother's, his wife's or his daughters' names is cruising for a bruising!

• Jun 22, 2010
  • PB? sorry Margaret, I couldn't find it. Simply looking for trouble: often 'cruzin' for a bruizin' - LateToDinner Jun 22, 2010
  • Well, I don't have a wife or a daughter yet lol - FELIZ77 Jun 22, 2010
  • Sorry LateToDinner but I just don't like the name Kathryn. ;-) - Gregory84 Jul 26, 2010
2

Stephanie Hannah - my beautiful daughter's name.

• Jun 22, 2010
  • Very pretty! - amykay Jun 24, 2010
2

A mí me gusta, "Penelope!"

I like, "Penelope!"

• Jun 22, 2010