Que descanses | SpanishDict Answers

I first heard this a couple of months ago, and I assumed that the clerk was being patronizing to a rather rude Spanish lady by telling her to "Get some rest and quit being so grumpy" but just now I heard it again in another show. Does it just mean "Have a nice day" or something? Very strange if that is the case.

It does mean something like "Get some rest." but it's not at all rude and I would say that it could be used like we'd say "Take it easy."

• it means "get some rest" but it's used more like "sleep tight" - amora54 Mar 26, 2013 flag

It can also be used for the English equivalent of 'sleep tight' although I found reference to it being used in Argentina as being similar in meaning to 'have a good day' - I'm not sure if this is just regional? Que Descanses

This is just the opposite of rude.

Que descanses is a short version of Espero que descanses bien.

Que pases buenas noches ................ Espero que pases buenas noches

Que tengas buen día ........... Espero que tengas ..............

Etc ..................

í Qué descanses !

I would say that it means;

**í Qué descanses ! = relax / take it easy / have a rest ! **

Interestingly enough it is using the subjunctive mood -rather than the imperative - which suggests to me that the person speaking is wishing that someone enjoys a rest and is not a command so would not be considered rude

I have found descanso in my Spanish Oxford Dictionary (3rd Edition)

which means rest

and í Qué descanso, estaba tan preocupado ! = What a relief, I was so worried !

I hope that this helps grin

I normally use ¡que descanses! at the end of a hard working day, or when I'm saying goodbye to someone that I know has been having a rough , tiring time. It means: may you have a restful evening / afternoon / weekend. I hope you are able to rest and relax and be restored.