What is the difference between "bonita", "linda" and "hermosa" | SpanishDict Answers

What is the difference between "linda", "bonita", and "hermosa"? Which is the highest compliment to a woman?

I would say hermosa, gorgeous smile

guapísima

lindísima

I agree with Gocika. I've always learned that linda is lovely, bonita is pretty and hermosa is beautiful. I really don't think that there is that much difference between the three and whichever you say would be a nice compliment.

• What about bella ? Bella means beautiful too and surly would be as much a compliment as hermosa ? - FELIZ77 Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • Surely I mean not surly lol - FELIZ77 Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • I agree, "bella" would be a nice compliment as well, so would "guapa". - alba3 Jun 17, 2010 flag

I agree with Gocika and Alba.

I've also heard "lindo" used for "cute" things, like puppies, babies, etc. I'd say "Hermosa" (beautiful) is the strongest word.

I believe that "Guapa" can mean sexy or gorgeous.

• ¡1Debo recordar eso! Guapa. - ray76 Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • Guapa can also be used as attractive in general. In Sonora, when we refer to someone who is pretty, but not attractive, we use guapa. It is more polite. - darkwise Jun 17, 2010 flag