The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's on the list | SpanishDict Answers

Would this be "La última cosa que quiero hacer es hacerte daño, pero está en la lista"? Or does it make no sense?

• How delightfully sinister. You've got my vote. - Jsanthara Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • Nice. If I ever get a tattoo, this is it. - KevinB Jun 17, 2010 flag

Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero está en la lista.

• Like it. - jeezzle Jun 16, 2010 flag
  • "estáS en la lista" - --Mariana-- Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • no Marianne, the fact that he might hurt her is on the list... - 00494d19 Jun 17, 2010 flag
  • The fact that he's going to hurt her is on the list of things he wants to do to her. It's just the last thing on the list. - KevinB Jun 17, 2010 flag

What an ugly thought!

In any case, está en la lista makes no sense to me at all.

Quizás:

...lo considero.

...lo puedo tener en cuenta.

LO mismo sería con hacer cosas buenas, lo que no se usa es lista.

está en la lista makes no sense to me at all.

I know Marianne, I guess Jeezle chose it as best answer because it certainly sounds correct...to your ears. Not to mine.

the saying itself, you are on my list...or this and that is on my list...like a plan or something, is completely foreign sounding in Spanish.

Te acuerdas que tienes que ir a comprar el pan?

yeah, it is on my list...(of things I have to do)

Not in Spanish. We would say: yes, I remember, or yes, I will consider it or something.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's on the list.

Makes perfect but not very nice sense in English.

I think jeezle has been watching too many movies. Or his love life is in a bit of a mess.

Anyway their is a big difference between "want to do" quiero and "would like to do" quisiera and the list of not a list of people but a list of things to do to one specific person.

• That's precisely the way I understood it, yes. "está en la lista..." (de cosas que *puedo* hacerte). - Gekkosan Jun 17, 2010 flag

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say, perfect sense in English but not in Spanish in the same sentence-

Actually, try and find a sentence on google in Spanish in this sense. You will find a lot of people saying" no está en mi lista"...but we are talking here about a real list, a written list of things, words..etc.

the English phrase does not imply an actual "list"...but more of a list in your head of things you consider doing or not.

Heidita:

Right. My translation is good from a literal point of view, and if one can understand that the person means that he/she has a mental list of things that he could do to the one being threatened. But I agree that it is not the most comfortable way to express the idea in Spanish.

My interpreted translation of the original sentence would be:

"Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero siempre es una opción".

It is less subtle than the original English, but better Spanish.

I think that someone would catch the drift...quite clearly!

Maybe substitute "quisera" for "quiero"; it softens the blow a bit.

• I don't think the intention is to be soft about it! :-0 - Gekkosan Jun 16, 2010 flag

Heidita said:

This makes sense if you know the saying "to be on someone's list." So, in the United States (and I'm sure other countries as well) "to be on the list" means to be on the list of people that have done them harm, insulted them, ticked them off, etc. The list is an account of people that I will now exact my revenge on or no do any favors for them again.

It's usually said, "You are now on my S&#T List."

How did I miss this: Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero está en la lista.

Gekko you are a don of both languages how about Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero lo tengo apuntado.

• Given the last few comments, I might go for something like: "Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero está / lo tengo en mi lista." - Gekkosan Jun 18, 2010 flag

Gekkosan said it correctly

Genia, gekkol!

Jeezle, you should accept that post as correct, the other one is too literal and sounds off, this one is perfect from my point of view.

I think Gekkosan's answer Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero está en la lista comes closest to the English meaning.

Lo último que quisiera hacer es lastimarte, pero siempre es una opción. is grammatically correct Spanish, but it misses the point in English.

The English phrase literally means, "I have a list of things I want to do to you, and the last item on the list is to hurt you." There's no option involved.

Word play does not translate well.