Why do human beings do more evil things than good? | SpanishDict Answers

I think that genes coming from wild animals are responsible for, you know that instinct to attack and to kill in order to eat and survive. What do you think about it?

• I think you meant to say "do" rather than "make" :) - 003487d6 Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • Ok, thanks. - AntMexico Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • If we come from Apes, most of them are vegetarian and do not kill in order to eat. - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Chimpanzees do, that's well known. - galsally Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • That is territorial not for food ,but that becomes a byproduct of the attack,and only one type of chimp does this. - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag

Why do human beings do more evil things than good?

That's a question based on a very inaccurate opinion on human beings, to begin with. If that were the case, there wouldn't be real communities at all, let alone virtual ones such as this site. We would have auto-destructed by now! Please, if you only go by what they portray in the news, you need to get out to talk and meet real people that surround you. If you do that, you'll soon realize human beings do more good than evil in general.

An interesting question would be, why do the news outlets and the media in general mostly portray the human beings as evil? Just follow the money, and you'll realize the answer. wink

• i like the way you think, and I agree with you. - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag

"Wild" animals don't dream up atrocities to commit. They simply kill for survival - instinct. You can't say this about our human species. If we were truly made in God's image, than he/she must be a very deadly creature. If some of us are simply mistakes, then how can God even exist since it is said that God is omnipotent. I doubt religion can ever explain this malady that exists, but the unincumbered mind will definitely recognize that the ability to become evil exists in all of us. It's the individual who makes the choice to "be or not to be."

• my thought is that we are made in his/her/it's image because we too are "creators" in that we can create at a more advanced level then animals. Good or evil on purpose. its free will. - dreamweaver Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • You ask good questions to which there may not be any answers. I just wish you wouldn't take the liberty to dismiss the millions of people who believe that which you dismiss as complete and utter fools. Maybe there's something there you don't see. - Sihara Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • A comfortable fallacy Julian - did you never see that sequence of a tiger killing 18 bulls in the space of about six minutes. Survival??!!! - geofc Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • And a fox in a Chicken coop! - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • If there is no God, is there good and evil at all? - webdunce Jun 9, 2010 flag

I wouldn't necessarily say that we do more evil than bad. It's just that bad deeds are what get the most attention in the news since they are the most sickening events. And people like to be spectators to 'bad' incidents. Just think of a car crash. Traffic gets even slower than it would have because everyone looks to see what happened out of curiosity.("Rubbernecking")

I've actually done some reading that has dealt with this subject. The truth is that we all have the potential to become what we call 'evil'. Most of us do not act on this because we have been trained by our societal constructs not to do anything that our societal constructs view as misdeeds. This is why some societies see actions as completely acceptable while other societal constructs view their acts as simply attrocious. So, if it were possible to completely remove society, the theory is that these values instilled in us would quicky devolve and most people would become beasts unless they were innately kindhearted.. Scary thought, but I believe this theory has some truth in it. grrr You can thank the book Lord of the Flies for that one. (There are other books that agree with this theory, but this is the most prominent one that I can think of.)

Some of the people that do evil deeds do not fit into this theory, however. They seem to not fit into the typical human persona. While they have been raised in normal conditions, they seem to do almost everything human kind seems to veer away from (the most referenced person being Hitler, of course). These have been referenced as 'monsters', and even though they may be in human form, they are much more evil than the average human. This, I believe, is a factor of a complete absense of feeling and compassion for others. In my opinion, this trait is what makes any animal, including humans, what they are.

So, in sum, I would say that the evil nature of humans is in a rare set of individuals, and when it does appear, it becomes even more enhanced than the fighting instincts of animals because these evil humans kill for the sake of what is unimportant, while animals kill to survive. Most humans are good, though. wink

THAT WAS LONG!

• I like your input... And I agree whole heartedly. - dreamweaver Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • I have read that Htiler was illegitmate and that his father was violent and cruel - not to excuse his deeds of course. - galsally Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Many humans kill only to survive, feeding greed is a form of survival. - DonVon Jun 9, 2010 flag

What evil things? Please tell me what evil things?

Just watch the news, wars, murders, suffering... I'm shocked about was happening in my country.

• If a non-Evil thing isn't on the news, does it not exist? - cheeseisyumm Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • Where are you from? - Sihara Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • The news is entertainment, a one-sided opinion to make money or push an agenda. - DonVon Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Ooo - galsally Jun 10, 2010 flag
  • I really agree on that one Don! - galsally Jun 10, 2010 flag

tamalmalamar wrote:

If you do that, you'll soon realize human beings do more good than evil in general.

samdie wrote:

Utter nonsense.

You dismiss one persons opinion as utter nonsense and then offer your own. I'm wondering if that could be utter nonsense as well?

samdie wrote:

However, I also believe that the human race is quite capable of destroying its own environment (rendering it uninhabitable for humans).

I do not believe that the human race is nearly capable enough of destroying its own environment. One fart from a volcano can surpass whatever quantity of contaminants humans can pour into the atmosphere, or that gigantic heating element out there can have a cycle of hiccups that can instantly alter the climate, something we've been trying to do for centuries.

There. I've offered my utter nonsense. tongue wink

• I believe human beings will have been a 'blip' in the history of the earth. I too don't think we can destroy it, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we manage to cause the eradication of our own species. - galsally Jun 9, 2010 flag

Think about what the media has given us in the last 60 years. In the early days everything was fun and innocent, morals prevailed. Violence was assumed in the early days, you never saw blood or bullet holes in bodies, and the act dying seemed so real. Real suspense and drama is what was played out. If you are young, search the internet for early programming you will be quite entertained by what was available, and the networks shutdown at midnight with the national anthem. Today ??? wow, violence in the networks, news, movies. Bodies torn apart in 1080 HD. Hollywood has become experts in desensitizing humanity, we are no longer repulsed by the images we see. Imagine the world, all of humanity, looking at TV maybe 10 hours a day seeing only what they want you too see. The Twilight Zone ?. It took decades to develope the control apparatus, but it is working. I realized not everyone is consumed by TV but, the masses are and it is not a good influence on society.

• I agree with the desensitization part, however, the early days were worst my dear...public lynchings of blacks without a trial were carried out in front of children for example in the 1930s & 40s and were glorified by many whites. - dreamweaver Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • and what does homosexuality have to do with this? - 003487d6 Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Why mention sex and homosexuality...they are in no way "evil," which is the topic of this thread. - --Mariana-- Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • deleted part of homosexuality and sex - 00494d19 Jun 9, 2010 flag

Indeed, Bill, hardly a surprise that we're in the place we are now.

Broadly speaking, the reason that humans do evil rather than good is that we're fallen people living in a fallen world which for the time being is largely under the rule of Satan.

The solution for the world is already on the way. Christ will come back and punish the evil, reward the good, and put an end to suffering on Earth.

The solution to the individual is to accept the sacrifice that Christ made when He came in the past. He who was fully God, and fully man came to die and take the penalty of our sins that we might have life for eternity. Thanks to Him, we need only come to Him and accept the gift of eternal life, and He will give us His Holy Spirit who will give us power to do good instead of evil and glorify God's name.

Until Christ comes back, this is a time of testing. This fallen world we live in is only here for an instant. A drop in the ocean of eternity. Why is evil allowed to persist (for now)? For the glory of God our Creator, that we may be saved and bring Him glory even in this time of darkness.

There's a lot of good in the world, but people and the media seem to have this fixation on the bad. That is because the forbidden is what stimulates our senses most. But don't we get this rush of endorphins when we do a good deed also? How we see good and evil has a lot to do with culture. Different people in different parts of the planet have different tendencies. The less media, the less evil. There's is a balance of Yin-Yan without which the world wouldn't be. If the dark side were to predominate the world would be destroyed (changed) into a semi-conscious state. What all religions are trying to do is tilt the balance towards the light so that we can transcend our present state and reach our next step of evolution. (spiritual evolution)

• muy bonito, la voz de la sabiduria:) - 00494d19 Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Nicely said, Robertico! Yours is the first statement I've heard about the mission of religion that makes sense - and without all the superstition & fairytales. - JulianChivi Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • That's Tao my friends. - 00813f2a Jun 9, 2010 flag

We are still wild animals. We just live in houses and pretend to be courteous to each other. ¿No es verdad?

• Not a single vote for anyone? Well I'm voting for everyone. - jeezzle Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • No es verdad. No finjo nada. - cheeseisyumm Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • I'm always courteous to you Jeez. - geofc Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • I am either courteous or not, but I do not pretend. - DonVon Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • jeje, good one don, same here;) - 00494d19 Jun 9, 2010 flag

Social, moral and biological evolution has subdued our animal instincts over tens of thousands and I actually think we a LOT more good things than we do evil things.

• I do more evil more than good, but hey to each his own right? Nah just kidding. - jeezzle Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • ¡No lo creo! - 003487d6 Jun 7, 2010 flag
  • I agree that there is more good than evil in this world. - --Mariana-- Jun 9, 2010 flag

En mi opinión humilde es debido al ego humano o como se dice en español el "shadow self".... la parte de nosotros que alimentarse de miedo.

Y el miedo es la EDUCACIÓN FALSA APARECIENDO VERDADERA

I believe it is due to the human ego or the shadow self...the part of us that feeds on fear. and fear is ...

F-alse E-ducation A-ppearing R-eal

Think about it ! - If there were no evil there could be no good.

No cold - no hot No sweet - no sour No sadness - no happiness. No beauty - no ugliness. No honesty - no dishonesty No up - no down No truth - no lies No cowardice - no bravery etc etc etc etc etc

Everything in life has its opposite.

Good things don't sell newspapers or films (apart from a few exceptions)

Anyway I don't think humans do more evil things than good things.

• yo tampoco ian. - dreamweaver Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • Tyger, tyger,burning bright in the forest of the night, What immortal hand or eye could frame thy fearful symmetry?? - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Hi Ray - Lots of lovely stuff like that - if you look for it. - ian-hill Jun 9, 2010 flag

Edit: I apologize for any language that was deemed unfit for the forum, though I do still believe my statements are fair ones.

• uh oh ...fights are on! But I have to agree with you Fred...Intolerance is not what Jesus came here to teach. The greatest command is to love not hate or alienate - dreamweaver Jun 8, 2010 flag
  • Atheist here, but I love lots of things Jesus (was reputed to have..) said ie 'He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.' - galsally Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • How do you know it is morally neutral? Who decides what is moral and immoral? - webdunce Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Scientific inaccuracies? - webdunce Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Fred, no need to become agressive and no swearing, be civilzed! - 00494d19 Jun 9, 2010 flag

Oh morbo, I must question your statement , you are assuming that it is correct. You should turn it into a question . " Do humans do more evil than good ?" In my humble opinion they must on balance do more good , otherwise we would have wiped each other out of existence. Buddha said that inside each sentient being there is a "Buddha nature" I believe this to be true, if you are willing to look for goodness then you will find it . The "Christian Scientists" believe that if you accept evil and think and talk of it then it will arise , maybe they are right , if so then think only of good and then good will arise. grin

• A bow to you Ray from a fellow Buddhist. - --Mariana-- Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • Ray, aren't we already wiping each other out of existence? The Incas, Mayas, Chachapoyas, Romans, Jews (almost), Cambodians (almost) and unfortunately, the list goes on. - JulianChivi Jun 9, 2010 flag
  • I do not believe so, they are still there , all things are subject to change , every thing is impermanent , just view it differently Julian . - ray76 Jun 9, 2010 flag