How do you say 'stop it' or 'stop that' as a command or a request?

• Bienvenida al foro. Welcome to the forum. - 0074b507 Jun 6, 2010 flag

Basta ya

Literally enough already but in essence "stop it". We have to be careful and not try to translate word for word. It´s not their fault, but sometimes Spaniards speak totally different to us. Just ask Heidi, hehe.

Para/parate - Stop (it).

Deja de hacer eso - Stop doing that.

Basta! This is an interjection {read below} and alone it means That's enough! Stop! I was watching a spanish movie yesterday and was surprised at how many one word interjections were used. I so wanted to say things in Spanish without writing a book to ask or answer a simple question or make a statement. As I listen to more and more conversations this really happens in real life and you do not need to always use sentences as maripositaxx answered even if she was perfectly correct.

In grammar, an interjection or exclamation is a lexical category used as a way to refer to some mentioned or understood noun without a grammatical connection with the rest of the sentence, by simply expressing an isolated emotion on the part of the speaker (although most interjections have clear definitions). Filled pauses such as uh, er, um, are also considered interjections. Interjections are typically placed at the beginning of a sentence or in a sentence by themselves.

Can't you use "bastante" also? (meaning "enough") To express an annoyance you could say, "estar harto(ta) de..." meaning "to be annoyed of/from..." Hope this helps! smile By the way, welcome to the forum!! You are going to learn a lot, I know I have over this past year!!

For the quick shout, definitely "basta" or "basta ya", meaning "enough" or "that's enough of that, my boy" or whatever.

As a request, "deja de hacer eso" comes over as rather prosy. At this level of request/suggestion/command I'd say "tienes que dejar eso". OK it doesn't include "hacer" but nobody I ever said it to seemed to have a problem with that.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. As everyone else has said, basta is probably the best answer to your question in most cases. However, there's a Spanish TV show I watch in which the characters often shout se acabó. It's usually used on the show to get people to stop arguing, but I can imagine it being used in other contexts. It literally means "It finished!" but really means something like "That's enough; no more!"

• Thanks Mac - I'd forgotten "se acabo" - geofc Jun 6, 2010 flag