As I am learning more and more verbs and vocabulary I notice things that relate to each other. There are a number of verbs where you can drop the r on the end and add the article and then you have the noun. I will give you a few examples:

cenar=to have diner la cena=diner banar=to bathe la bana=bath {and yes I need n ye} duchar=to shower la ducha=shower

Are there a lot more of the above examples? If so, it would make it much easier to memorize as go together verb/noun combos. What other similarities can I look for?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the volver family of verbs. Volver, devolver, revolver...maybe someone can help me here with others, as I'm sure there are more. I will try to find the article where I read about this and post it. And you make a very good point for us early learners! grin Gracias!

• Here's the article: http://spanish.about.com/od/spanishvocabulary/a/volver_verbs.htm - chica_rica May 27, 2010 flag

More to the point of your question, ayuda = help, feminine noun ayudar= to help desayuna=breakfast, desayunar=to have breakfast. I'm sure many more exist.

grapar - la grapa (to staple)

Thanks Chica I did look up the site and it says:

Like some other verbs that come from Latin, the Spanish verb volver is the head of a small family of verbs whose meanings can be expanded through the use of prefixes. Although the meanings often aren't what you might expect, the verbs have a familiar ring to them, as they all have English cognates.

Verb families are great for conjugation since if the verb is irregular once you learn how to conjugate one in the family the rest follow suit. One such is tener and another is venir {both very irregular} and cognates. I know of at least 2 other tener verbs and 2 venir ones. But I am mostly interested in noun relationships since it is really so simple to just drop one letter and get your noun. Heidita came up with a verb not on my list so now I have learned a verb and a noun together!

• This doesn't fit into the context of the original question...verbs that drop the r from the infinitive to make a noun. - 0074b507 May 27, 2010 flag

A lot of nouns also use the opposite ending. Such as viaje, a trip, from viajar which means to travel. Nieve, snow, from nevar - to snow. There are others but I can't think of them right this second. Some nouns come from the past participles of verbs. Vista, view, from visto which means seen, and comes from ver. Dicho, which is from decir and means said, but as a noun it means a saying.