Is surfear an official verb in Spainish? | SpanishDict Answers

I have been told that surfear is a spanglish verb and not an official Spanish verb. I live in Southern California and as a Spanish teacher it is a very common activity. I want to make sure I am teaching it correctly.

Who makes it official anyway? raspberry

Back to seriousness, the Real Academia Española dictionary does not include it (http://rae.es/rae.html). But they are known to keep such "inglesismos" out anyway or too slow to adopt them. However, I think the majority of native speakers would understand what that means.

Aviso

La palabra surfear no está en el Diccionario.

This is what the R A E dictionary says about it.

Of course, someone from Southern California would think surfear is a word. I believe that it is a computer term, however. I don't know if it's used for surfing TV channels.

HI Lewis, we say

navegar, do not use surfear, that is spanglishwink

• I was thinking more in terms of the actual surfing sport, not Internet surfing. I agree with Heidita that the correct term for Internet surfing is navegar. - tamalmalamar May 27, 2010 flag
  • The computer context is from our dictionary. - 0074b507 May 27, 2010 flag

Here in Argentina we use "surfear" o "hacer surf" for the sport. Even if the RAE says we must not raspberry

My text says "practicar el surfing" and implies that that would be used in Puerto Rico.

Gekko will correct if it's otherwise. smile

Collins dictionary lists "surfeo/a" as both an adjective and a noun. I suppose it doesn´t take too much imagination to adapt this into a verb and come up with "surfear".

Oh, so we are talking about the sport!!

hacer surf, surf does appear in the dictionarywink

surf. (Del ingl. surf). 1. m. Deporte náutico consistente en mantenerse en equilibrio encima de una tabla especial que se desplaza sobre la cresta de las olas.