estoy ocupado? | SpanishDict Answers

I don't remember ever seeing this form of conjugation, but this is what Google gave me for: "I am busy".

I know about Estar + Gerundio, which "estoy ocupado" is not. I'm thinking that maybe because ocupado is used in the past with the present form of estar means that I am busy from the recent past going forward.

This is the sentense that I wrote and using my knowledge of french it seems to make sense: "Yo estoy ya ocupado para los dos jueves próximos."

What do you guys think.

Spanish is getting more fun.

• It's great to hear that it's becoming more fun. I've always thought that it was. lol - Delores--Lin May 19, 2010 flag
  • BUt you really need to quit using your knowledge of French to figure out Spanish! jejeje - Goyo May 19, 2010 flag
  • The reason I use French is because sentence struct is very similar to Spanish. As for leaning anything, sometimes it's not so much fun; but now I'm heading up the fun hill again. - salsero69 May 19, 2010 flag

As you suspected this construction does use estar (present) with the past participle. It means that you are busy at the present moment.

Since you are speaking of future days, you might say:

Voy a estar ocupado... smile

• Buen hecho - Goyo May 19, 2010 flag
  • I think you mean Bien hecho not buen hecho mi amigo - FELIZ77 May 19, 2010 flag
  • = Well done - FELIZ77 May 19, 2010 flag

Quote by Delta33 Ocupado is the participle form of ocupar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always considered the participle to be the adjective form of a verb

That is correct. See this page from our reference section under

Uses of the Past Participle

2. As an Adjective When used in conjunction with a linking verb (ser, estar, parecer), past participles act as predicative adjectives.

Ocupado is the participle form of ocupar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always considered the participle to be the adjective form of a verb. Regular participles are formed by dropping the last 2 letters of the infinitive and replacing them with -ado for -ar verbs, and -ido for -er or -ir verbs. There are a lot of irregular verbs though, so I would check a verb chart before assuming anything.

• I've already checked the verb chart and do know my gerundio and participio which is why I asked the question. As far as participio being an adjective form of a verb is something I'll have to investigate. - salsero69 May 19, 2010 flag

You have to change it to "Voy a estar ocupado para los dos jueves próximos" Translation: I am going to be busy on the next two Fridays. whereas what you said translates to "I am busy now on the next two Fridays" You said something like that, anyways.

• Jueves =thursdays Viernes =fridays - FELIZ77 May 19, 2010 flag